The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BEEN NOSING AROUND TO FIND THE SPARE TIRE ON MY 2002 T & C BUT TO NO AVAIL. ANYBODY KNOW WHERE IT IS AT?

·
3rd gen > all others
3,627 Posts
Under the rear of the van, just like a pickup.

Reactions: Oscarphone

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
James, is this a "new to you" van or you just never checked for spare before?

Most likely, if no one has maintained the spare tire or winch, it is on the side (or middle) of the road somewhere from corrosion 'eating' away at the winch part of the system (be it cable, mounting plate or just the wheel holder).

Like Road Ripper says, look under the rear bumper and you should be able to spot the place where it once mounted to. If you see an upside down 'T' shaped hook on a cable, it could just be that the spare was used and never replaced.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
It may have taken a solo trip when you hit a bump. Wouldn't be the first one to do that.

If OE it's likely not safe to use anyway. They require a higher pressure and they crack badly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, it's in the rear area under the van. Is the rim & tire the same a the rims & tires on all four other wheels?

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,122 Posts
OK, it's in the rear area under the van. Is the rim & tire the same a the rims & tires on all four other wheels?
Should be the same size tire, except that if the road wheels of the van are alloys, the spare will be a steel rim.:mad:

As Jeepman said, if the tire is a 20- year old OEM (check the date code when you drop it to lube the mounting cable), DON'T run that old tire.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,122 Posts
OK, where is the date code located on the tire?

When it comes to determining the age of a tire, it is easy to identify when a tire was manufactured by reading its Tire Identification Number (often referred to as the tire's serial number). Unlike vehicle identification numbers (VINs) and the serial numbers used on many other consumer goods (which identify one specific item), Tire Identification Numbers are really batch codes that identify the week and year the tire was produced.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires that Tire Identification Numbers be a combination of the letters DOT, followed by eight to thirteen letters and/or numbers that identify the manufacturing location, tire size and manufacturer's code, along with the week and year the tire was manufactured.

"When it comes to determining the age of a tire, it is easy to identify when a tire was manufactured by reading its Tire Identification Number (often referred to as the tire's serial number)."

Tires Manufactured Since 2000

Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.

Example of a tire manufactured since 2000 with the current Tire Identification Number format:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
James, best advice I can give you, and from the questions you're asking, is go to a place like Costco or your mechanic, and have them deal with it. You can also ask them to operate and lubricate the up/down mechanism for the spare tire.

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
Anybody got a take on this 2001 year, 54th week phenomena?
What country was the tire made in?
Double check that date, could be hard to read...

The two unlikely possibilities are:
-someone kept changing the week on the date stamp (instead of changing the year, as in new date stamp didn't arrive yet) - in which case it would be second week of '02
- the tire was "re-manufactured" due to a defect? (I don't believe that's legal in US for new passenger tires)

Regardless, 20 y/o tire is not considered safe for highway use so deal with it and be sure to thoroughly check condition of the rim.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to ALL you guy's for your help. Really! After that 54 week year (not 52), I just decided to take my rig down to some people who deal with tires for a living all year long. problem solved! I am on the road again with good meat on the pavement and a spare sitting in the open on the floor where & can grab it easily when needed & slap it on a hub. Thanks, Jim

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK guy, I hear ya. But the spare tire that was under the van in the back, was a tire that looked like the rest on each wheel of my van (save e.g. brand names), no difference. I think someone had removed the OEM spare tire & placed it with a run-of-the-mill tire from who knows where. Likely an auto-wrecking yard. The tire guys there thought so too. Jim

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
Your spare tire wasn't like a regular tire anyway, I'm thinking, if like the one that came with my 2002 DGC
you can easily check by pulling build sheet...
If original owner ordered a "full size spare" that might well be what factory put under there.
Otherwise most people would replace the old compact spare with a normal wheel + tire when time comes to replace it (if not sooner)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts