The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a 2003 chrysler town and country, 3.3 engine, it has about 255,000 miles, the power doors don't work, the transmission sometimes goes in limp mode, he drove it to town last week and when he tried to come home it would not go past 2nd gear and engine lights were on , he is 84 and does not need this headache, he wants to sell it , what's it worth, we live near Richmond Virginia,

·
Registered
372 Posts
My dad has a 2003 chrysler town and country, 3.3 engine, it has about 255,000 miles, the power doors don't work, the transmission sometimes goes in limp mode, he drove it to town last week and when he tried to come home it would not go past 2nd gear and engine lights were on , he is 84 and does not need this headache, he wants to sell it , what's it worth, we live near Richmond Virginia,
Not much if the body is not rusty it would probably be better to part it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
It's worth at least scrap value (call local recyclers and get their quotes).
Not knowing condition of the body and interior, hard to say. Take a look at what similar vans are listed for on CL.
Problem is, if it's stuck in LIMP, it's a "mechanic's special" - limits who would be interested in it.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
516 Posts
If it's a rust bucket, it's worth whatever the junkyard will give you. If the body is solid, it is still only worth maybe $1000 because of the mileage and mechanical issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The used car market is more than a little crazy at the moment. I would check what carmax would give you. The online tool is decent. And look at kbb/edmunds/nada online as well. It's quite possible it's worth a little work to clean it up and sell.

The limp mode may just be the solenoid pack. Which is a fairly cheap fix.

Scan the check engine light codes. An auto parts shop will usually do it for free. Or buy a cheap ODB-II scanner for $15 and see what the codes are.

Reactions: reyada476

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depending where you live. In California it would go for $950 with the right person. That is becuase everything here is overpriced. The main issues that it goes into limp mode and with that millage you are lucky to get $500. If he wants to sell it is becuase he is getting a few hundred for another car. If there is rust issues just take it to the junk yard. The problem is when you buy another car you can sometimes get worse than what you have. Since the miles are so high its probably best to junk it unless you are sure the body, engine and suspension are in good shape. My aunt rebuild her SUV transmission with 240,000 miles on the engine. That is becuase the SUV was is excellent shape all around and engine including the AC was still in good shape. Driving in second gear is not safe. It can be major or simple fix.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Advertise on Craig's List, and say just what you said in your post. Post it for $1000, and if nobody responds, drop it to $750. Keep going down until you can sell it, or you can limp over to Carmax and sell it to them.

·
5000 Club
5,765 Posts
I donated a car to a charity (Purple Heart Association) some years ago. It was running fine but they will take it even if it's not. I got a $400 tax deduction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The used car market is more than a little crazy at the moment. I would check what carmax would give you. The online tool is decent. And look at kbb/edmunds/nada online as well. It's quite possible it's worth a little work to clean it up and sell.

The limp mode may just be the solenoid pack. Which is a fairly cheap fix.

Scan the check engine light codes. An auto parts shop will usually do it for free. Or buy a cheap ODB-II scanner for $15 and see what the codes are.
The solenoid pack, how do you tell which transmission that you have to order the correct solenoid pack

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
The solenoid pack, how do you tell which transmission that you have to order the correct solenoid pack
3.3 should have 41TE

DO NOT go down the "parts cannon" route - by the time you fix it you'll spend more than you'll get back.

If you want to try fixing it, start by reading transmission codes. If you do the "key dance" it'll only show you a p0700, you need a place or tool that will pull trans specific codes.

If could be as simple as speed sensor being crusted in residue or it could be a hydraulic problem...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the opposite position up here in Maine. I have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica with only 70,000 miles. Body iand subframe is badly rusted. The motor, transmission and all else is great. Salted roads is the killer up here.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Worth perhaps $500 as is, or less if the body is rusted and the interior nasty. You could start at $1000 on craigslist, but risk turning away buyers. I tried Facebook Marketplace a month ago to sell a camping trailer and got many replies, with people almost fighting for it, and sold it in 2 days. It seems a nicer place with more neighborly people and not all the scammers of cl, perhaps because they aren't anonymous.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V
516 Posts
I tried Facebook Marketplace a month ago to sell a camping trailer and got many replies, with people almost fighting for it, and sold it in 2 days. It seems a nicer place with more neighborly people and not all the scammers of cl, perhaps because they aren't anonymous.
I've had the opposite experience with FB Marketplace. All I usually get is idiots and time wasters that act interested in things and never get back to me. :mad: Not much different than CL, really.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just remember that if you give your car to charity and it’s appraised value is $1,000 the deduction’s value is based on your tax bracket. 15% tax bracket = $150 on $1,000 appraised value. Consult an accountant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does it have working power front seats?

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing you may want to check that transmission issue please check all the code if you have a bunch of gear ratio error code and a c sensor code ignore the gear ratio error code and replace the speed sensor that you have a code for because those Transmissions are pretty much a bulletproof because my 05 Town and Country put the same motor in it but she wants it in ninety-seven Thousand on it with the original transmission. Use it on those Transmissions cuz you got gear ratio error code along with one or two speed sensor codes if the speed sensor is out of the problem you can get those at any parts house put them in clear the code and it should be fine after that with no issues. I have for the power door locks not working see if anything else is not working like the power outlet on the dash and check to see if your remote keyless entry still work because on my 05 the electronics are slightly different but I had a broken wire and then a left front wheel well that was broken and my power door locks will not work unless the vehicle was on I want my power outlet stopped working and the radio wasn't working can you cut off I was just a bad fuse so check the fuses I know on the 03 models the BCM which is under the left side of the dash up on the firewall should have fuses on it I believe in 04 is when they changed it and all the fuses are now under the hood in the battery junction box

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Just remember that if you give your car to charity and it’s appraised value is $1,000 the deduction’s value is based on your tax bracket. 15% tax bracket = $150 on $1,000 appraised value. Consult an accountant.
Haven't done it, but recall reading a new fed rule requires that you report the actual value the vehicle sold for at the charity, not what you claim it was worth. I wonder how they handle it if the charity keeps the vehicle for their own use, but most just flip them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts