The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day the engine light came on.. I did notice I was down a quart of oil, so I put one in. The engine light never went out.

I got the Manual out and theres a lot of reading in there. I did find the engine light is for Engine and transmission problems..

Anyone have any ideas as to what to look for, before I have to see a dealer.. man they sure cost a good buck..

I kind of figure some emission problem...this is a Canadian van..3.8 litre I believe.

Any ideas will be entertained..

Thanks Ron..

·
Registered
534 Posts
Can you do the "key dance" to bring up a code? Insert key, turn on, then off, then on, then off, then on again (without starting the vehicle each time). This should provide a code on your odometer. Report back here with that code, and we will tell you what it means.

Sometimes the system will burp/blip causing the engine light to illuminate. If the "problem" does not reoccur, the system will eventually distinguish the light (after a few driving cycles). As long as the engine light is not blinking, it most likely is not serious - and maybe nothing at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you do the "key dance" to bring up a code? Insert key, turn on, then off, then on, then off, then on again (without starting the vehicle each time). This should provide a code on your odometer. Report back here with that code, and we will tell you what it means.

Sometimes the system will burp/blip causing the engine light to illuminate. If the "problem" does not reoccur, the system will eventually distinguish the light (after a few driving cycles). As long as the engine light is not blinking, it most likely is not serious - and maybe nothing at all.
Thanks for the coding method.. I did just did the code.

Here are the results of the code.

P 1684
P 0456

Two codes appeared and then said done..

·
Registered
534 Posts
P1684 = battery was disconnected

I'll look up the other code, and get back to you shortly.

·
Registered
534 Posts
P0456 = EVAC LEAK MONITOR .020 LEAK DETECTED

Possible Causes: Evaporative Emission System Leak, Evaporative Emission Leak Detection, Evap Purge Solenoid Leak/Stuck Open, or Intermittent LDP Monitor Failure.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
P0456 = EVAC LEAK MONITOR .020 LEAK DETECTED

Possible Causes: Evaporative Emission System Leak, Evaporative Emission Leak Detection, Evap Purge Solenoid Leak/Stuck Open, or Intermittent LDP Monitor Failure.
OR, you may have forgotten to tighten your gas cap ..... :ask_wsign

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P1684 = battery was disconnected

I'll look up the other code, and get back to you shortly.
I have never Disconnected the battery.. I don't know why this code would appear..No one else has ever disconnected that battery either..

Thanks for the code..

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I have never Disconnected the battery.. I don't know why this code would appear..No one else has ever disconnected that battery either..

Thanks for the code..
Hey OldCrow, please update your "Signature" with your van's year/make/model/engine/miles. This will help us help you when you discuss a problem here. Also pick up a Haynes Manual for your specific year/make/model/engine. It helps with many of the self-maintenance projects. :thumb:

Maybe it's hinting you need a new battery? How old is this battery? :ask_wsign

·
Registered
534 Posts
OR, you may have forgotten to tighten your gas cap ..... :ask_wsign
Yea, definitely check that first! Many people have paid big $$ for a diagnostic check, just to find out they didn't put their gas-cap back on after filling up with gas (or tightening enough).

As far as the other code (battery), have you recently disconnected the battery for any reason? If not, check your connections. Make sure the connections are tight and clean. If not, take appropriate action.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'll do all these checks and see what happens.. As long as its not going to stop in the middle of I-96 on me. I'll be ok, till I find a Dodge Dealership..

Thanks for all the help.. I'll let you know how I make out..

Ron..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey OldCrow, please update your "Signature" with your van's year/make/model/engine/miles. This will help us help you when you discuss a problem here. Also pick up a Haynes Manual for your specific year/make/model/engine. It helps with many of the self-maintenance projects. :thumb:

:lol: ha ha Original ..

Yes I'll add the Specs...

·
Registered
534 Posts

Hey Ron,

AzTraveller brings up an excellent point. These vans are so electronic-sensitive that a weak battery can cause all kinds of strange issues, including false alarms. If your battery is original, then it is suspect. I am already on my third battery in my 2003 T&C. Most recently I replaced it, and it resolved a phantom air-bag warning. Check this first (your battery). Many places will do a battery test at no charge (in hopes of selling you the new one).

Good advice Az!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check engine light

My check engine light came on. I did the key dance and got 2 codes p1684 and p0700 can someone please help me find out what that is thank you in advance

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,065 Posts
My check engine light came on. I did the key dance and got 2 codes p1684 and p0700 can someone please help me find out what that is thank you in advance
Google the code and DODGE GRAND CARAVAN and you will find the mystical meaning of the codes.

But if you read the entire Topic, you would see that P1684 is "Battery Recently Disconnected" .

P0700 is a tranny code (I'm SUCH a tease...)

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Sadly, the P0700 code means that the TCM has more specific codes stored in it. In one way it might help diagnose, but the bad part is you need to have the specific scanner to read it. You will have to visit a trans shop or dealer to find the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 dodge caravan as well the engine light has been on for over a year! I have spent almost $700 between 2 mechanics, trying to fix it so it can pass emmissions. It is not the gas cap, they tell me it is a very small evap leak but cannot find it my van runs fine, but this light and "ping" reminds me of lost money and the worry of not passing inspection b/c of this stupid thing..... any ideas from you guys??
Thanks, Susan

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Evap is usually a cracked hose at the evap cannister, or search forum for other locations.

You can probably ignore battery code.

If trans is running OK, you can probably ignore that to.

Only the evap will cause you to fail emissions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts