The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Everyone! I Have a 2003 Dodge Caravan Se that i need to do a cooling system drain, flush and refill and i have used a 3/8 inch T-40 socket to try to remove the cylinder block drain plug to drain the old coolant out from the block but the T-40 socket wont grab grip onto the cylinder block drain plug so i can remove it and drain out the old coolant from the block. I will greatly appreciate the help and here is a pic of how that cylinder block drain plug looks like...
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Close-up Automotive design Auto part

·
Super Moderator
28,481 Posts
Just drain and refill four times using demineralized water. Fastest drain is via the lower radiator hose where it joins to the steel pipe. Heat the coolant up between drains to open the thermostat and run coolant through the system. This actually flushes the system.
More on that here:
Your final fill (4th) will be pretty much straight antifreeze per:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do what Jeepman said.

But if you insist on removing that cylinder block drain plug you will need an Allen socket tool of the appropriate size since the plug is not Torx. Yes, kids, before Torx came along there was Allen. Make sure you have a good quality tool because that plug will be very tight.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That plug is an 8mm (H8). I always pull the block plug(s) on all my cars when servicing the cooling systems. Use a light coat of teflon thread sealer when re-installing.

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do what Jeepman said.

But if you insist on removing that cylinder block drain plug you will an Allen socket tool of the appropriate size since the plug is not Torx. Yes, kids, before Torx came along there was Allen. Make sure you have a good quality tool because that plug will be very tight.
These are 2 pics i took showing the t-40 socket i used on that cylinder block drain plug but it didn't grab good grip onto that drain plug so i can loosen and remove it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Coolant is not an all or nothing thing. When you change the oil, drain what you can and fill what your can with 50-50 mix. Next oil change, do the same thing. Just keep doing what you can, and your van will be happy and you'll be happy!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That plug is an 8mm (H8). I always pull the block plug(s) on all my cars when servicing the cooling systems. Use a light coat of teflon thread sealer when re-installing.
If your able to please show me a link of that tool so i know how it looks it would help me out alot so i can go to the store right now and look for it.

·
Super Moderator
28,481 Posts
Coolant is not an all or nothing thing. When you change the oil, drain what you can and fill what your can with 50-50 mix. Next oil change, do the same thing. Just keep doing what you can, and your van will be happy and you'll be happy!
Yes, you're just doing a little flushing and replenishing the additive package in the antifreeze. Glycol is glycol, ethylene glycol has no expiry date (think lifetime antifreeze that's on the shelves). If you do this, then your antifreeze will be essentially 100% replaced after 4 oil changes (or each drain and refill). Antifreeze wasted will be about 1.5 jugs of pure antifreeze to accomplish that. Maybe do a replacement every 6 months to accomplish the task in two years, or use some other time period, instead.

IMO, removing the drain plug is an opportunity to borrow trouble, especially if its rusted in there real bad. Any particular reason you are going that route. I believe it's a tapered fit.

Good luck, hope it works out ok...

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, you should take those sockets back to Home Depot and demand that they give you the ones that fit.

I can't believe that Home Depot is selling tools that don't fit now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well, you should take those sockets back to Home Depot and demand that they give you the ones that fit.

I can't believe that Home Depot is selling tools that don't fit now.
I went today and returned those sockets back and bought a husky set since i couldn't find no help in the store but thank you very much for helping me my friend im very grateful, here are 2 pics of the set...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,481 Posts
Metric maybe? Imperial? Torx?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Metric maybe? Imperial? Torx?
Im not having any luck with the sockets i have purchased so i found this Go2socket on amazon and would like to know if this tool will work for my situation of removing the cylinder block drain plugs so i can fully drain out all of the old coolant or water from the block. Here is the link of that tool i found on Amazon:Amazon.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
Since you were able to remove one of the drain plugs, I would suggest using it to size the bit needed; take it with to fit the bit. It could very well be the size is in inch fractions as I have found miscellaneous fasteners and such not being metric (leftover parts). It is possible the drain plug has been damaged by the torx bit and the appropriate bit no longer fits well.

The extractor tool you noted will not work; the drain plug does not likely extend out enough for the bolt to grab it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since you were able to remove one of the drain plugs, I would suggest using it to size the bit needed; take it with to fit the bit. It could very well be the size is in inch fractions as I have found miscellaneous fasteners and such not being metric (leftover parts). It is possible the drain plug has been damaged by the torx bit and the appropriate bit no longer fits well.
Good Evening my friend! I still haven't had success removing both cylinder block drain plugs from my 2003 Dodge Caravan Se. I just ordered a GO2SOCKET to see if it will help me remove these 2 cylinder block drain plugs.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,885 Posts
It should be a tight fit. You could use a tiny flat screwdriver to scrape the inside of the hex socket, to fully clean out any rust or gunked-up dirt in there. Then see if an allen bit will fit, or start to fit, in there. You may have to tap it in with a small hammer. If it fits too loosely, you risk rounding out the plug and never getting it out - which leads up to plan B...

Plan B is to leave them in place, remove the thermostat, and do a chemical flush of the cooling system since it has been neglected. I've done this to a car in the past, and it got a lot of stuff out and made it cool much better. I removed the thermostat, flushed the system with water, drained. Refilled system with water and a bottle of Prestone Super Flush for Neglected systems (heavy duty flush). Then I drove it with that in it for a couple of days. Then I drained it and flushed/backflushed it again and ALL sorts of green crap came out! Flushed it with water both ways until it ran clear, fully drained the system, reinstalled a new thermostat and refilled with new coolant mix. It ran slightly cooler than it ever had, just under the half mark on the temp gauge (which is also where these vans like to run). With these vans and the rear heat, getting all of the water out is going to be tough unless you disconnect some rear hoses or have access to an air compressor to blow out sections of the cooling system.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Super Moderator
28,481 Posts
Reactions: itsallgood
1 - 20 of 38 Posts