The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, 3.3l Flex, 175,000 miles
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unexpectedly lost coolant and over heated when running the A/C. I added water to get home and an inspection of the system revealed what appeared to be a snap-on connector (elbow, 1 side clamped) in the rear wheel well was dislodged. I was able to snap the top half of the elbow back on. Although I've mostly been running the heat, it doesn't seem to be leaking.

My question is what's the name and part number of the elbow and is the male end prone to problems and should it also be changed? That end runs into the rear compartment.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,660 Posts
From a post by J. Whikoff:
"I think the whole bundle of lines is 5183255AA. Discontinued but still available through Summit and other places. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong part but it looks like they changed the elbows into a formed hose, and would require a lot more work to replace than just the elbow. Brilliant...

If I look at '05 instead, I found 5066525AA. That looks like the elbow and short section of hose. Give that a look."

Someone else replaced that hose/elbow with a longer silicone hose and smooth hose clamps, because the plastic fittings crack and leak.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Reactions: itsallgood

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 61407

Yes, that's it. Thanks. I'll keep the rear A/C off for a time and see it it makes any difference.

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
That's a heater line, not an air conditioning (A/C) line. Flow is continuous through the heater lines, there's no shut off valve, hasn't been since around 1995.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a heater line, not an air conditioning (A/C) line. Flow is continuous through the heater lines, there's no shut off valve, hasn't been since around 1995.
Frankly, I have no idea how the rear A/C and heater work. The day it popped I the A/C running. Once I popped it back on, and refilled the system, I haven't had to run the A/C and I'm reluctant to run either in the rear compartment.

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
The A/C is completely independent of the heater except for the fan. Likely don't need either one in the rear for normal operation day to day The rear heat lines can be bypassed quite easily, near the front, underneath, by using one hose as a crossover to the other line.

Reactions: Hiker

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The A/C is completely independent of the heater except for the fan. Likely don't need either one in the rear for normal operation day to day The rear heat lines can be bypassed quite easily, near the front, underneath, by using one hose as a crossover to the other line.
The problem stopped for several months but it's got to the point something has to be done.

Can you better describe how to make the bypass/crossover repair?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts