The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2003 Voyager 2.4l that over the past few months has been bucking and when given more gas bogs down and starts to lose power. Back off on the accelerator and the issue either stops for the moment and returns almost immediately, or goes away for a little while. (hours to days sometimes) I just replaced spark plugs, replaced the valve cover gasket, upper manifold gasket, and throttle body gasket, as well as cleaned it as much as possible. Thinking this would help or alleviate the problem, I was wrong. Any ideas or common know reasons for this issue? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Are you setting any codes?
The symptoms you are describing could be explained by a drop in fuel pressure.

The other "stranger" cause I have seen is the fuel damper on a 2005 2.4L van failing. A dead damper doesn't keep the pulsing created by the pump at bay. The 4 cylinder engines don't handle these pulses well. The damper is only serviced by buying a new rail.

Does your have a damper on the rail?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply. I am getting codes but dont have them on hand. :/ I will get them when I go to work tomorrow. ( I work for a hyundai dealership) i do know it set off the camshaft position sensor code as well as something about a 5 circuit issue of some sort. I have replaced the sensor to no avail. I have not looked at fuel pressure. I did, however, read something a few minutes ago about a front O2 sensor causing an issue quit similar. it had to do with the a/c running or was assumed it had something to do with it.

Found Here --> http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/25395-Bucking-when-ac-is-on-low-rpm.?highlight=bucking

Mine seems to be more active as the engine, and weather get warmer. (I live in SW Florida)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
How many miles? Clogged cat?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Not related, but your timing belt (water pump, tensioner) is over due for replacement. Don't forget to post the codes tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I pulled the codes this morning and this is what I got...

P1684- Battery loss within 50 startups
P0740- Torque converter clutch circuit condition
P0700- Transaxle control system fault
P0344- Cam sensor position
P0440- Evap emissions system small leak/ NO FLOW condition
P0456- Evap small leak detected/ ECM has detected a LARGE leak in the evap system

I went o AutoZone and they printed each code with a list of each most common reason for the code to be triggered. A couple were evap related, another two transmission related, and the last was a result of me taking the negative battery cable off the terminal for an extended period of time to replace the valve cover gasket last weekend. The timing belt did come up actually as one of the possible reasons for code P0344 (cam sensor condition). The symptoms did occur again today a couple of times while taking the kids to the park and running errands. Also, the same codes that mentioned the transmission also stated that low/poor fluid could be a possible reason for the codes to be triggered.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
The only one of these codes that is going to cause you a driveability problem is the cam code.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Replace the cam sensor first those cam sensors go bad all the time and they are easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
When my 1996 2.4L missed bad under hard acceleration at low speed (on ramps), I first changed the platinum plugs to copper, thinking perhaps the thin electrodes had broken. Seemed to work, but problem recurred a year later. I then found the TSB for turbo engines that said to lower the spark plug gap. I did that and no more problems (maybe 60 mil to 50 mil gap). Our van was hit on the driver's front long ago, shoving the computer over, so perhaps there is a crack on the circuit board.

A few months ago, I got the bad cam sensor code and it was idling a bit rough. I changed it and no more codes. Wells has a youtube on cam sensors, and they changed a 2.4L one saying "preventative maintenance, since these often fail". My van has 205K miles, but I did change the cam sensor once trying to fix an oil leak. The replacement had a different connector (later it seems), so I made my van match that and the recent purchase matched.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts