The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yes, I have done that several times on both straight-six and V-8 pushrod engines and even a DOHC 4 cyl, all Chryslers. Yours has pushrods, so much easier. Check compression first. If 200 psig or greater then cylinders are fine. If <175 psig, consider doing a "ring job" while in-there, but wait until you pull the head to decide. If you can still see the factory honing marks on the cylinder walls, I wouldn't go further. For a ring job, you remove the oil pan, unbolt the connecting rods and push the pistons out the top (need ridge reamer if a step in the metal). Smartest to do the rear bank too, which isn't hard after you remove the wiper tray. Might consider changing the roller lifters while in-there since the head must be off to swap them. Then, smart to install a new camshaft while in-there, and new timing chain? Have to pick your battles. Often a ring-job with honing isn't sufficient since the cylinders have worn oblong and need reboring and oversized pistons.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT
68 Posts
Yes, I have done that several times on both straight-six and V-8 pushrod engines and even a DOHC 4 cyl, all Chryslers. Yours has pushrods, so much easier. Check compression first. If 200 psig or greater then cylinders are fine. If QUOTE]

If ya gotta go that far ya might as well pull it and work on a table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Definitely must pull out the block for overbore and new pistons. Doing a hone with a hand-drill and re-ring is normally done with block in vehicle. Plenty of room to get in there when stripped down, so almost as easy as having the engine on a stand. Be careful using "just". Unbolting the engine from transmission is quite involved in my 2002 3.8L, particularly since mine is AWD with the transfer case bolted to the aft side of the engine to make access to bolts tough. At least going the other way - removing transmission w/ engine in car has been a major pain, taking hours to get the transmission back on. If I ever repeat, I will first unbolt the transfer case, so not dealing with trying to align to that at the same time.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
I don't know if I'd mess with new rings on a 2004. It still has the good rings. In 2005 the rings changed and the 3.8's started using more oil. Replacement rings might be the same as the later rings, and then you'd have an engine that uses oil.

Also, if you have to pull the camshaft you HAVE to pull the engine out. This is why I bought another whole running van for parts, as I thought my engine might have a camshaft bearing slightly spun making the engine run a little rough. The spun bearing shuts off oil flow to some lifters, which then don't open the valves fully and results in a misfire. I thought if that was the case and I'd have to pull the engine to replace the camshaft, I might as well just swap out the whole engine with a good running one. 3 years later and my van hasn't gotten any worse, and didn't run too badly in the summer with lightweight oil in it. Maybe because I have a spare engine, the original won't fail now. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts