The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought 2004 Chrysler Town and Country Limted, 3.8L. It came with a separate set of Winter tires mounted on a separate set of steel wheels. So, when it started snowing I swapped the all-season tires on stock aluminum wheel with the winter tires on steel wheels. Inflated them to 30psi and drive a few hours.

Then the low tire light came on and the overhead console said "service tire system soon". Realizing my tire pressure was too low, I increased it to 36psi. Then I drove it for a few minutes but neither the "low tire pressure" light nor the message on the overhead console would go away. I read on this board the it might help if I performed TPMS relearn. It supposedly starts with selecting "Relearn" on the overhead console. Well, my overhead console seems to a be a plain one and doesn't have such option. What can I do? How do I perform the relearn?

·
Registered
511 Posts
So do your winter tires/rims have the correct sensors in them? In order to do the re-learn, you have to have the donut shape magent that slips over the valve stem. This somehow activates the individual tire sensor..and you move from tire to tire. And yes, I have to place the van in a "relearn" mode. All this does is teach the van what sensor is in what tire. I think the patern is start with the front left, and go clockwise around the van. I no longer do this, because I really don't care...if I have a problem I'll check all tires. I don't think this is your problem...you may have one (or more) sensor that is not working...which means the van is only seeing three (or less) sensor signals, thus a "service system" notice. The van does not know that it doesn't know which sensor is in which tire...I've never seen a "lets do a re-learn" procedure. But it can count...and if it sees only three or less sensor signals, then it knows there is a problem. If a sensor works, and tire pressure is low, then your message would be "low tire pressure in tire X".

·
Registered
37 Posts
We had the "Service Tire System Soon" warning on our van for over a year. Went to the dealer three times over that period but they could not fix it. Said their computer could not talk with my van. Finally took it to a local shop. They figured out which sensor was bad and replaced it. Then they did the sensor retrain as described above and the warning has not come on again. Just inflating the tires will not remove the warning.

·
fix it if you can
5,517 Posts
I recently bought 2004 Chrysler Town and Country Limted, 3.8L. It came with a separate set of Winter tires mounted on a separate set of steel wheels. So, when it started snowing I swapped the all-season tires on stock aluminum wheel with the winter tires on steel wheels. Inflated them to 30psi and drive a few hours.

Then the low tire light came on and the overhead console said "service tire system soon". Realizing my tire pressure was too low, I increased it to 36psi. Then I drove it for a few minutes but neither the "low tire pressure" light nor the message on the overhead console would go away. I read on this board the it might help if I performed TPMS relearn. It supposedly starts with selecting "Relearn" on the overhead console. Well, my overhead console seems to a be a plain one and doesn't have such option. What can I do? How do I perform the relearn?
NGC (late 4th gen) vans do not require an explicit 're-learn' procedure, the system relearns sensors "on the go". If you don't have a owner's manual download a PDF copy (free) from Chrysler (even if you can only get one for '05, TPMS is very similar - unlike '01-03 system)
Most likely those winter wheels have no TPMS sensors in them or the batteries in sensors are dead (or wrong sensors were put in)..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NGC (late 4th gen) vans do not require an explicit 're-learn' procedure, the system relearns sensors "on the go". If you don't have a owner's manual download a PDF copy (free) from Chrysler (even if you can only get one for '05, TPMS is very similar - unlike '01-03 system)
Most likely those winter wheels have no TPMS sensors in them or the batteries in sensors are dead (or wrong sensors were put in)..
Thanks for the info. It's good I have the auto relearn TPMS. So, my problem must be in the pressure sensors.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In my experience on my 02 T&C LXi the system relearns tire pressures "on the go", so if we fill the low tire, the system learns the new pressure and the light goes out. However whenever we have had a bad sensor replaced, which seems like way too many for such expensive sensors, the system had to be relearned using the overhead console and the relearn tool (think it might be a magnet of some sort). This may be different on different years, but that is my experience these last 11 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts