The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently acquired a 2005 GC SXT (3rd GC) and the power door locks on both sliding doors do not work. Also, the child safety look feature does not make any difference in either position. Additionally, the auto lock at 18 miles per hour does not work for the sliding doors. The other power door locks work fine both by the door switch or the fob. The only way to unlock the sliding doors is by hand. All opening and closing features work properly. Not knowing the vehicle history, I know little about what was repaired in the past. 85K miles and have been working on cars for many years. This one has me stumped. Any suggestions or ideas to try would be greatly appreciated.

·
5000 Club
5,744 Posts
Since you don't know prior history I would check both of the wire harnesses in a cavity next to the bottom of the doors. It's in an articulated plastic cover. That harness is infamous for broken wires because it moves anytime the door is opened and closed. Many times the wires break inside the insulation so look for the slightest bulge. Here's how you get at it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705hcJqOf6U You'd look for the tan, orange and black wires.

By child safety feature do you mean the switch on the overhead console?

·
Registered
80 Posts
2002Van, this one is easy. Power Door Lock Actuators. this is a known problem with our vans. we've owned a 05 T&C Touring for a couple years and I've already replaced one. ALSO, I just bought a 06 T&C Limited with 148k miles and guess what didn't work? both sliding door power locks. exact same symptons as yours. its the Power Lock Actuators.

I bought mine from Amazon. Dorman #746-259 for about $52 each shipped. you can also find the part at local auto parts stores. its the same part for each side. the Dorman units come with an an extra actuator arm, you have to change it out for one side (reverse action from the other side). the new part is larger than the OEM part, the originals are known to fail. you can take the door panels off and replace your self fairly easily or a local gargae can do for you.

the broker wire that RIP is talking about is also a known issue, but that's more when the power door motor stops working. the power lock failure is almost always the actuators.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on Locks for sliders...........drum roll please..........I replaced both actuators and problem solved. Yippee! My gratitude to those who provided the knowledge and advice. I was struggling to believe both were bad, but they were. Thank you all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts