The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title describes it well. My 05 GC 3.3 v6 has been consuming a lot of power steering fluid and i'm guessing theres a leak somewhere but when I leave the car parked nothing leaks under the car. I would need help identifying where the leak could be. Thank you for your time everybody.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't think it can "consume" power steering fluid as it is a closed system ;) So, you almost certainly have a leak. Have you checked what you can see from the fluid reservoir? The hose from the reservoir to the pump. Do you have any noises turning at low speed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reservoir seems to be fine so I guess it must be in one of the hose or the pump itself. I didn't really check the hoses for now so I can't tell you exactly.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Look for dampness on the hoses.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
It may be leaking at the reservoir and staying on top of the engine. Look for a big oily mess there.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It is very common for the steering racks to leak on these vans. It can leak into the boots and not leak on the ground immediately, or sometimes they only leak when you compress the boots by turning the wheel sharply.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I turned the engine on and turned the wheels back and forth a couple times and then shut the engine off and I could hear a air sound just like theres a small hole in a baloon. i have no idea if it can happen with the power steering system but give me your thoughts on this

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
It is very common for the steering racks to leak on these vans. It can leak into the boots and not leak on the ground immediately, or sometimes they only leak when you compress the boots by turning the wheel sharply.
So true, forgot about that - happened to me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mine was leaking from the line from the cooler. Just a trickle per week was being lost from the reserviour for months, then one day it just ruptured and dumped everything on the ground. The first diagnoses was the rack, since it was completely soaked, which is one job I didn't have time to tackle so I took it to a shop. Turned out just to be the hose coming back from the cooler.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replie. i finally had a look under the car and I found the leak which is the clamp on the hose right before the power steering cooler

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: The line to the cooler was simply loose from when I hit a snowbank so now its tied up properly again. I'll see in the next few days if its still leaking

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Did you hose clamp or zip tie it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts