The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our local tire shop (Les Schwab) has a deal where if you buy wheels and snow tires from them, they will swap them annually for free. So, last spring when I was taking our new snow tires off, they had some used wheels that they said would fit my car and I bought them.

They worked great for the summer, we swapped back to our snow tires (which have the original wheels) this past winter and then just last week we put our regular tires back on (with the used wheels).

While they were swapping the tires, they told me I was down to 1mm on my front pads. It wasn't that low, but they also reminded me that I needed some other suspension work done that I have been intending to do for a long time (shocks and struts, rear shocks, one bearing was going, and one outer tie rod was going). So I decided to make a day of it and do it all.

One of my rotors needed replaced so I just decides to do rotors and brakes together on both sides. The problem is that after I changed the rotors and brakes, the after market wheel was pressing on the caliper and locking up my brakes. Is it possible that the tire shop sold me a wheel that doesn't actually fit my vehicle right and only did because the pads and rotors were already worn? It is possible that the rotor and pads I bought are a little too thick? I put my snow tire back on with the OEM wheels and it does not have a problem with clearance, even with the new pads and rotors. The other thing that makes me feel like the wheels are not the right fit is that the stems on the wheels don't match the stem slot location on my hub caps. I was a little miffed that they just tossed my hub caps in the back of the car with the snow tires and didn't even give and explanation as to why they didn't put them back on. Long story short, and rant almost over, I think I am finding a new tire shop, but want opinions on whether I have claim to demand they either refund me my money for the wheels and put my regular tires back on the OEM wheels or give me new wheels that actually fit.

P.S. Yes, I know I was really late in getting snow tires off, but in my defense we did have snow here just 3 weeks ago and I did cross a mountain pass two weeks ago when it was snowing.

P.P.S. Note to self. Never, ever, ever buy a Northeast beach car again. Getting those front hub assemblies off was about more that my feeble mind could handle.

·
Vanless member
2,090 Posts
You should include what car you have in your signature.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What you are describing is a major safety hazard and if the shop is smart the least they can do is refund you for the wheels or swap you for a set that do fit. As long as your brakes are together properly it is very possible for the wheel to not clear the caliper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am 99.9% sure my brakes are together properly. I have done approximately 15 brake jobs in my life, and this is the second one on this vehicle. I even took the caliper off, reseated the pads, triple inspected my work, and the wheel was still pressing on the caliper. It is also happening on both sides of the car. My worry is that the shop is just going to tell me my O'Reilly's rotor is too thick or some garbage like that. Where I have already decided to take my business elsewhere in the future, I just don't want to have to pay them one more time as a parting gift to swap my regular tires to the OEM rims and then have to buy another set of wheels elsewhere. Grrrr.

·
Vanless member
2,090 Posts
There are many rims, even early Caravan rims that won't fit on the front because they don't have the necessary bulge for calliper clearance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
not surprised being les sdhwab.... they crossthreaded some of my lugnuts when they put my summer wheels on... had to break them off to do front brakes on my 94

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,060 Posts
If the used wheels were 3rd Gen, the bolt pattern is the same but the caliper clearance is marginal.

It's also possible that the rotor hats on the new parts are thinner and that is why you are having clearance issues NOW.

You can get thin wheel spacers that will provide a bit of clearance without further mods. If you like the used wheels, I'd see if the shop will install them for you for free. They only cost a few dollars. Otherwise, you need different wheels, because the ones they sold you DON'T FIT.:angrya:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts