The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm having troubles with the power door lock on my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE not working. I reset the computer and it makes the problem go away for a short while but it always comes back. Apparently it's a BCM issue but I guess I can't just throw in a used one of those. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm having troubles with the power door lock on my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE not working. I reset the computer and it makes the problem go away for a short while but it always comes back. Apparently it's a BCM issue but I guess I can't just throw in a used one of those. Any ideas anyone?

I would try to replace the main switch first! since it is the main for all doors and if all else fails return it. takes not much time it u r inclined to do so. I can't see the BCM at fault for this. When you hit a certain speed do the door locks lock automatically? than you have a better chance that the switch is worn out?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would try to replace the main switch first! since it is the main for all doors and if all else fails return it. takes not much time it u r inclined to do so. I can't see the BCM at fault for this. When you hit a certain speed do the door locks lock automatically? than you have a better chance that the switch is worn out?
The automatic locking at a certain speed doesn't happen when they're not functioning. What's the main switch? First I've heard mentioned of it...

Chrysler Tech >> That sounds great! :biggrin: No one's mentioned a "fix" for it either. It was Fountain Tire I had check it out who said I'd probably have to have the BCM replaced. I didn't go the the dealer yet cause they have never actually FIXED anything for me they just make recommendations and charge me full price for doing it. How do I bring up this computer fix to them? Does it have any specific name or reference I could say to them? Something like "a-la-ka-fixo” would be great.:thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
a flash update for the software is available, there is a tsb for it, however it does not always fix the problem, a bcm is the issue, the door lock driver internally in the controller is glitched, esd(electro static discharge)causes the failure, the little spark from your hand when you get out and manually lock the door. It backfeeds the bcm and short out the driver circuit. The updated bcm comes with a large capacitor for storage of this type of static to protect the circuitry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a flash update for the software is available, there is a tsb for it, however it does not always fix the problem, a bcm is the issue, the door lock driver internally in the controller is glitched, esd(electro static discharge)causes the failure, the little spark from your hand when you get out and manually lock the door. It backfeeds the bcm and short out the driver circuit. The updated bcm comes with a large capacitor for storage of this type of static to protect the circuitry.

Thanks man! So that means that if i get the Chrysler dealer to install a new BCM it'll fix it? I've read from others who had this problem that replacing it at the dealer DIDN'T fix it and that's why I'm seeing what all my options are.
Should I mention to the dealer about the newer bcm or should they know about it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts