The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and need help diagnosing an intermittent head-light issue. The lights will occasionnally turn off with the switch on. Any ideas??

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
do you have automatic headlights.
Do all the lights go off (parking, headlights, dash lights)?
Are you able to get them to come back on, or does it just do it on it's own?
Do they stay off, or just turn off then back on?

Oh, and Welcome! :hi2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headlight issue 2005 T&C

I have similar issue. Lights slow to come on or turn off while driving. I am replacing the light switch $62 dealer and Relay $12 just to be sure. I read an article regarding the complaint of this nature. It was shot it down as being a recall but there were enough complaint there to lead me to believe there is an inherent design flaw in the headlight circuit. Anyway, I can't have headlights turning off on me while night driving.

I had a 82 Chrysler New Yorker that did the same thing. I replaced the headlamp switch and corrected!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the exact problem occur numerous times. (Do some searches under my user name on this board and allpar because I got into great detail.)

FYI, per my understanding there is no relay to be changed?! (Again, look at the threads I started.)

Lastly, this problem just magically went away this past spring/summer. I wonder what winter will bring? (The only thing I can think of, or may be it is purely a coincidence is that my battery cable was off for an extended period of time when I did some transmission work. When the problem was constantly happening the battery disconnect trick had no affect.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
...............Oops, I forgot to mention that a few regional Dodge/Chrysler dealers I contacted said they had never heard of such a problem.

Out of an issue of safety, I did file a complaint on-line with the NHTSA this past spring/early summer.

Anyone else have this problem, or better yet a solution?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I also didn't mention, I told my wife to stop leaving the headlights on when she turned off the van. I was trying to isolate the problem and see if the delayed off function had anything to do with it.

Anyways, no malfunctions in the last few months?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headlight woes

I too had the issue with the headlights. I bought a switch from the dealership [very easy to install] and that was it.

The dealership acknowledged that the light switch has issues. When I was changing the light it was having fashing/issues. the contacts in the switch may be the problem. I didn't take the time to check the circuit board with ohmeter but there were no obvious scorches on the printed board.

No problems since and it has been a couple of days.

:thumb:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Update:

Replaced headlight switch assembly about 3-weeks ago and not one hint of a problem since.

FYI, dealer wanted $85 for the part (Would not budge on price) and I paid $37 for the switch at Rock Auto.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts