The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am at my wits end here with replacing the rear leaf spring hangers and shackles. I have the hangers, but the shackles are discontinued. I took a chance and ordered a pair for a T&C without stow-n-go, and they're not even close. Anyway, I need numbers 2 & 5 in the parts diagram. Some Mopar sites have one side or the other, but not both. I have stow-n-go seating, and none of the sites give me that option......unless all 05's with the 3.8L and Touring package are always stow-n-go......I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm some OEM part numbers for me? I'm showing 4743516AC for the inboard shackle bracket and 4721075AA for the outboard bracket.
Thanks!
Mike

· Registered
321 Posts
Your part numbers are correct for the CYC option...but the inboard p/n has been superseded by 04721393AA. Both are available at Mopar Parts Overstock at reasonable prices. Interesting how the pins appear to be part of the inboard side:

Reactions: multimopes

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for confirming that. I didn't want to order them until I got confirmation. Uhm, so what is the CYC option? I didn't see a sticky thread for acronyms.I know that my T & C has xzz code, but I think that's a code for emissions parts ordering.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I have another dilemma. I just called moparoverstock and they said that the 04721393AA replaces both inboard and outboard shackle plates, even though they're two different part numbers. I found this odd. If this is true, then they must not have the pins welded on the plate, or they would not be interchangeable from inboard to outboard. Can you confirm this?

· Registered
321 Posts
Makes sense I guess, as the parts catalog shows the pins (4) as separate parts...two short and two long.

Short = 04694998AA
Long = 04694999AA

They (overstock) seem to have the long one:

But not the short. Both are on eBay...and for probably a better price. If it weren't for the knurled head, I'll bet you can use any matching Grade 5 or 8 bolt.

$38.00 on Amazon...oof!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again. I spoke with 3 different dealerships today, and they all said that I should just order 4 plates of the 04721393AA. The one dealership actually had two on hand. I asked the clerk to look at them for me and let me know if the pins are welded to the bracket. Well, they are indeed welded. So looks like I'll be grinding off the pins on two of the four brackets. I actually already did a set that I had (wrong part #), and it takes about two minutes to grind down the weld on the outside of the plate and then poke the pin through the hole. I ended up ordering the 4 plates, and it's total with shipping and tax was a few cents short of 85.00. Robbery for sure, but when you need a part........................lol.

· Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,349 Posts
Thanks again. I spoke with 3 different dealerships today, and they all said that I should just order 4 plates of the 04721393AA. The one dealership actually had two on hand. I asked the clerk to look at them for me and let me know if the pins are welded to the bracket. Well, they are indeed welded. So looks like I'll be grinding off the pins on two of the four brackets. I actually already did a set that I had (wrong part #), and it takes about two minutes to grind down the weld on the outside of the plate and then poke the pin through the hole. I ended up ordering the 4 plates, and it's total with shipping and tax was a few cents short of 85.00. Robbery for sure, but when you need a part........................lol.
Did you check first at Rockauto.com ? A Stealer-ship is the last resort when all other options are eliminated.

· Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,349 Posts
In a situation like this, the dealership is the best option. Rock Auto doesn't even list the shackle brackets for the stow-n-go option.
IF I can't find it on Rockauto.com, I go to CarID.com

full product listings for rear suspension.

Reactions: VinceBoomBots

· Registered
402 Posts
Except for the fact that all of those are for non-Stow-n-Go vans. The SnG shackles are drastically different. I don't think there are any aftermarket suppliers of SnG shackles.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are correct. They are drastically different. The leaf spring mount plates are the same for stow-n-go and non stow-n-go. But the shackles/spring plates that attach the leaf spring to the mounting plates are very different. These are dealer items only and most of the dealers don't have any. Anyway, my parts should be in this week. Hopefully, with a slight modification, I'll be good to go.

· Registered
402 Posts
Please let us know how it goes. I'd also like to know if these happen to come with the steel sleeves. I recently replaced the shackle bushings on mine and one of the sleeves was badly corroded and fused to the pin. It cleaned up enough with a wire wheel to be usable but I'd rather have it be right.

· Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,349 Posts
You are correct. They are drastically different. The leaf spring mount plates are the same for stow-n-go and non stow-n-go. But the shackles/spring plates that attach the leaf spring to the mounting plates are very different. These are dealer items only and most of the dealers don't have any. Anyway, my parts should be in this week. Hopefully, with a slight modification, I'll be good to go.
Mine is a 2006 SXE, with SnG too. I've not looked at the rear shackles as the van spent a majority of it's life in the south. Bet in the next few years things would be different. Supply would be non-existant by then. Bet I could have them fabricated at my local truck center shop.

· 3rd gen > all others
4,698 Posts
Except for the fact that all of those are for non-Stow-n-Go vans. The SnG shackles are drastically different. I don't think there are any aftermarket suppliers of SnG shackles.
Look at the pictures again. I looked at them and the links last night. They are ALL for stow and go. That is why the shackle isn't symmetrical, because it has to locate the leaf spring away from the center of the upper part of the shackle. The rear frame rails of stow N go vans gets wider, to accommodate the large bin that holds the rear bench seat when it's folded down. Because of that, the shackle mounts and shackles are different. The shackle mounts are narrower where they hold the bushings for the shackle, than the flat floor counterpart.

Anyway, why not just get used ones and replace just the bushings? I think only the lower bushing seems to wear anyway. I've never had to replace any shackles or bushings in my vans, even with over 200,000 miles on them. I just don't notice any slop in the rear, even if they are worn. Probably because there aren't any smooth roads here where I live LOL.

· Registered
402 Posts
Look at the pictures again. I looked at them and the links last night. They are ALL for stow and go. That is why the shackle isn't symmetrical, because it has to locate the leaf spring away from the center of the upper part of the shackle. The rear frame rails of stow N go vans gets wider, to accommodate the large bin that holds the rear bench seat when it's folded down. Because of that, the shackle mounts and shackles are different. The shackle mounts are narrower where they hold the bushings for the shackle, than the flat floor counterpart.
Nope. All of those listings are for flat floor non-SnG vans. I suppose both Rock Auto and Dorman could be wrong but I don't think so. They specifically state they are not for Stow n Go seating:

Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Circle

Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

You are correct that SnG frame rails have a wider spoacing to accommodate the fold away third row seat tub. All of the shackles listed center the leaf spring under the frame rail for a flat floor van. The SnG shackles have a significant offset. This allowed Chrysler to use the same spring to rear axle and spring to frame mounting points. Here are some photos from my 2007 GCV SXT:

Left side
Automotive tire Black Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

Right side
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Tread Rim

Anyway, why not just get used ones and replace just the bushings? I think only the lower bushing seems to wear anyway. I've never had to replace any shackles or bushings in my vans, even with over 200,000 miles on them. I just don't notice any slop in the rear, even if they are worn. Probably because there aren't any smooth roads here where I live LOL.
I don't know why the OP needs new shackles. Perhaps they are rusted to pieces. I replaced my shackle bushings (lowers) recently. The right side were almost completely gone with some metal to metal contact. Before I replaced them I was keeping a can of WD40 handy in my van so I could give them a shot whenever they began squeaking. I think the extreme offset of the SnG shackles tends to keep everything from sitting straight and square and that's why the bushings wore out. Well, it also has about 215k miles.

Anyway, it is not my intention to have a big argument over spring shackles. We can save that for discussions regarding motor oil or spark plugs :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts