The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on getting a picture but thought somebody here might already have gone through this.
My uncle's 2005 Town & Country was damaged by a car wash who refuses to take the blame. (They have alot of similar complaints on reviews.) Factory running board on left side is the worst. I can't quite figure out what's going on but hoping I can fix it for him. Part of the black tread on top is pushed back so it sticks out below the rear end cap, almost touching the rear tire. It's the full length of plastic but only the outer 2 ribs, if that makes sense. It won't just slide back into place as it is. Anybody know if the rear end cap can be removed to fix this easily, or will whole running board need removed and disassembled? It looks like the treads are multiple strips that lock together, not like this section is split or torn loose.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looks like you need to apply more force--like with a mallet--to tap it back into place. Maybe wet everything down with soapy water to help the piece slide back into the channel.

Running boards on one of these vans are silly--they almost scrape the ground and I can see where the wheel guides for a car wash would destroy them.

Does anyone use these when entering the van? If not, I'd just pull the running boards off unless they're covering rust or are useful to the owner as mud flaps. The obvious alternative is to find a different type of car wash or revert to hand washing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's strange my uncle has used the same car wash for a long time, every few days, and never had any damage before. This van is (or was) nearly perfect. I'm sure he wants to keep the boards so I'll try your suggestion before I resort to taking them apart. 😁

·
Registered
168 Posts
@ferrett13sj, if you can pull on the end that's not free-floating it might be a bit easier because it will stretch and shrink the rubber strip but you obviously don't want to chew up the end with your pliers or whatever. I'd soak the seam with some concentrated dish soap in water or something to lube it.

Since Covid, I have noted a decrease in the quality and enthusiasm of waitstaff in restaurants, car wash employees, etc. Enough so that I only go thru washes now where I can drive the car onto the wash rack myself. And I tip very well whenever I get good service in the hopes that it will encourage those employees to stay on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used a rubber mallet and tapped the edge piece back in enough that it's not sticking out. But it pushed the rubber top tread with it lol. So now there's a gap at the back where the rubber tread is, and still a gap at front where edge piece is. What a mess. The metal inside the running board where the edge piece needs to slide to is literally folded completely over at the front corner, so I'll have to straighten that. Rear end cap is all out of whack but hopefully it will rebound to original shape now that it's not being held up by that edge cover. Maybe I can straighten that creased corner, somehow tap the edge cover up even with the rubber tread, then tap it all back in place. Tap tap tap..... Or I'll wait til it's not 500 degrees outside and actually try to remove the painted end caps and proceed from there. To be continued....😂

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good luck to you. 500 degree temps would soften the rubber and should make it easier to pull the rubber thru the channel. Sounds like you at least have the dangling strip of rubber out of the way.

But yeah, if you can remove the end caps, it might help getting the other pieces to move into place. If you want to assist soft plastic pieces to get into shape, consider heating them with a hair dryer or heat gun (but stop short of burning any paint off).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts