The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought this 05 T&C with electric sliding doors and electric rear gate. The doors all work fine with the push button controls. HOWEVER, the rear gate will not open with the rear door handle. It opens fine with the key or with the electric button (console button or button on the remote).

The power locks all work fine -- unless the rear door is failing to unlock?

Where to start?
Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Use the key to unlock the rear liftgate but don't open it then hit the button on the remote and/or on the console and see if it opens. If it opens then it probably is not unlocking properly. listen to see if you can hear the solenoid when you lock and unlock the liftgate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got the exact same problem. The gate opens by the remotes and the interior switch, but not by the button on the liftgate. It unlatches fine when I use the key in the lock. I tried to jumper the switch and that didn't work. I figure that seeing that the vehicle uses a network and if I understand that the BCM detects the different resistance to identifying the switch that is depressed, that the liftgate switch might have a resistor in it to identify it to the BCM. If this is correct, I would love to know the resistance so I can test if it is the switch that is faulty or if the problem is further down the line.
Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IamTed,
I still have the problem. I never got it solved -- gave up. Not worth going to the Stealer to solve.
HOWEVER, if you crack the case, PLEASE let us know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same exact same issue. I pulled the button and tried replacing the resister that is buried in the plastic. Didnt work. My next move is to hit the junkyard and see if replacing the internals in the door help.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Could be the switch in the handle mech has died. You can get a replacement part for it online from RockAuto ($23) or scavenge the wrecking yards for a whole assembly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Been dealing with this on my '02 for six or eight years. The switch in the door handle corrodes, and doesn't make contact. I don't know if it's possible to disassemble and polish the contacts, but I may get angry enough to try. Until now, it's been sufficient to mash the switch as roughly as my hand is capable of, and it works again after a few tries.

BAD DESIGN!!!!!!!!!!! This particular point for controlling the latch should have been strictly mechanical.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,605 Posts
Been dealing with this on my '02 for six or eight years. The switch in the door handle corrodes, and doesn't make contact. I don't know if it's possible to disassemble and polish the contacts, but I may get angry enough to try. Until now, it's been sufficient to mash the switch as roughly as my hand is capable of, and it works again after a few tries.

BAD DESIGN!!!!!!!!!!! This particular point for controlling the latch should have been strictly mechanical.
Yes, it is possible, that is exactly what I did on my 2006 DGC.

Problem is, I don't own it anymore, can't explain how to do it, but is very easy.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Sounds like a defective switch to me...

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Could be the switch in the handle mech has died. You can get a replacement part for it online from RockAuto ($23) or scavenge the wrecking yards for a whole assembly.
Yes, mine died too and I replaced it with one procured through EBay. Has worked great ever since.

Does your switch look like this one?http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-08-Dodge-Caravan-Chrysler-Town-Country-Liftgate-Release-Switch-OEM-MOPAR-/321214782592?fits=Year%3A2005%7CMake%3AChrysler%7CModel%3ATown+%26+Country&hash=item4ac9e49c80:g:W-0AAOSwkNZUkuly&vxp=mtr...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts