The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2005 T&C Touring 3.8 w/ Stow and Go. I have been trying to figure out why it was running perfectly (except for a very noisy ac compressor) and all the sudden it just stopped turning over. I am getting spark and changed out the ignition coil just to make sure, checked the battery and all the electrical side. The Fuel pump relay is working fine, but it appears the fuel pump is not (went so far as to climb under the tank to make sure).

I figured I would drop the tank and look at the fuel pump for the **** of it, but I am having issues with getting the siphon past the valve in the down pipe. So I figured I would ask for some help here. Has anyone had this issue? pump going from good to dead literally in a matter of minutes? If so how do I get past the valve to get the fuel out of the tank? it is filled to the brim so removing the down pipe would make too much spillage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,

That's the problem. You should always, release fuel pressure when servicing the fuel pump and remove it while the tank is empty or near empty.

·
5000 Club
5,680 Posts
Are you saying you don't hear the pump when you cycle the key to "on" or did you check pressure with a gauge? Old trick is to smack the tank near the pump with a mallet. It will sometimes wake up a lazy pump. Did you check for volts at the pump connector?

Probably apples and oranges but some months ago I was having problems siphoning gas out of my 96 GC. It felt like I was hitting a block as you are. I wound up cutting the tip of the plastic siphon tube at a sharp angle to get past it.

May be worth mentioning if as you say this happened right after filling up. There is a check valve in the top of the tank designed to keep fuel from back flowing into the EVAP canister. If the valve fails the usual symptom is the van will start but die immediately or soon thereafter. Then it usually will run normal after a bit. May not be the problem but I wonder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to check the voltage if i can find my multimeter. I have not tried the hammer trick yet. As to the pump it actually does not start at all. Have checked spark and timing and changed the ignition coil. Only item left is fuel flow.

I will try to cut the tip of the pump hose before I try getting under the down pipe. I was also considering going to home depot and building a small rigid tip as it feels like I get the valve to open then the hose sticks, but will cut it first. Thank you for the suggestions, will fill in more as soon as I know something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So first good news is that cutting the tip of my hose 45 degrees and spinning it the correct direction when I fed into the hose worked. I am currently pumping out the fuel using a hand pump... Gets tiresome, but I can control the feed better then a gravity pump and well no battery pumps available around here... lol

Cannot find a place to access the power without dropping the front of the tank... downside to stow and go number 1. number 2 is that the pump assembly is double the price.

more to come later.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does not start but actually fires. there was no pressure in the fuel line and almost no fuel either. Have a new pump on order and tank is dropped but cannot put it back up till I get the new pump...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts