The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,506 Posts
The sliding doors on my beautiful van are the exact same size (within reasonable manufacturing tolerances). You must have a special edition.
You better get your measuring tape out, actually you can easily see the difference by looking at the dogleg area, the passenger side is noticeable wider at the bottom.

· Registered
402 Posts
You better get your measuring tape out, actually you can easily see the difference by looking at the dogleg area, the passenger side is noticeable wider at the bottom.
Well, I certainly stand corrected. I did measure my van before I replied because I didn't want to seem like an idiot by making a comment I can't support. I measured at the top of the door and at the beltline (bottom edge of glass). Those measurements are the same side to side, as I said within manufacturing tolerances. I didn't bother to measure the bottom edge of the doors. Had I done so I would have found the right side door is roughly two inches longer. The rear edge of the door is sloped more steeply on the left side. Apparently this is to provide a some room for the fuel tank filler tube.

I have owned my van for over nine years and have worked on countless customer vehicles in the past and hadn't noticed this. I could not have imagined they might make them asymmetrical like that. Perhaps this design quirk is common knowledge but it is new to me. I probably would never have known were it not for this thread.

So, my apologies to jamesbrent294 for questioning his statement. And my thanks to him and georgef for helping me to learn something new today.

· Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,506 Posts
...I didn't bother to measure the bottom edge of the doors. Had I done so I would have found the right side door is roughly two inches longer. The rear edge of the door is sloped more steeply on the left side. Apparently this is to provide a some room for the fuel tank filler tube...
I first noticed it was when I was making a repair patch for the dogleg area on my 2001, I had only owned it for around 10 years 6 months.

• Haha
Reactions: Carbuff2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts