The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that nothing is easy. Today our 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan began leaking from the water pump. I set out to replace it. Now that I managed to remove all of the mounting bolts, the clearance is so tight that I can not remove the pump.

I have followed the instructions from the Haynes repair manual. They claim that if you slide the pulley up unto the pump, it will come out. I've monkeyed around for awhile and finally stepped away before I do something silly.

Has anyone had this experience? How do I get the water pump out without destroying my van? Ugh...

Thanks!!

David Stickney

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced the water pump in my 2004 T & C this afternoon and had a similar problem. My solution was to use a pry bar between the tensioner pivot and the frame box to move the engine over a few mm to gain a bit more clearance...

·
Vendor
1,486 Posts
I belive previous experience required others on the site to loosen the front engine mount and lower the engine with a floor jack, Then it is fairly easy.

Others have put the bolts back in and taken it somewhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I was crying about my misfortune and contemplating my next move, something awesome happened!

I was googling here and there and came across a hit that seemed too good to be true! In the end, it was spot on and solved my problems. Check out: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/874963/water_pump_replacement/

There are three bolts on top of the engine on the passenger side that allow the engine to drop JUST enough to gain the required clearance to get that bugger out. You don't take them out, but just leave the bolts with a few threads left. I dropped it down a bit & the pump immediately popped right out. It was amazing.

Thought you guys might like this one!

It still took me awhile of battling with mounting bolts on the backside, but I was able to move forward and complete the job.

David

·
1000 Post Club Member
1,985 Posts
Yup,those are for the motor mount on that side.Removing the front mount under the radiator allows even more droop,but too much and the radiator hoses (and maybe some wiring) will be overextended.

·
*yawn*
2,992 Posts
Just replaced the water pump on a 2002 DGC SE 3.3 @ 109kmi. Did the inlet pipe (rusty) and crank pulley/harmonic balancer (visible wobble) at the same time. Dropping the PS engine mount is the trick; just enough to get things out.

The crank pulley requires a puller to remove. To install the new pulley, I removed (temporarily) the fat washer from it's bolt to get enough threads to bite, and get the new pulley seated on the crankshaft.

I lubed the inlet tube O-ring with dish detergent to get it to squeeze into the water pump housing.

-Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for all the help on here gents!

Just swapped out my water pump on my 06 3.8 in under 1.5 hours. Without the motor mount trick I would of been there a bit longer for sure. For those of you thinking about tackling this, it's really is not a difficult job at all.

Remove plastic shield under engine
Remove lower radiator hose
Drink while letting coolant drain into bucket
Remove serp belt,
remove pulley from pump with 3 screws.
Remove pump from motor with 5 screws
Drink
back out screws from motor mount a bit.
Get big ass pry bar to help you "assist" the movement of the motor away from the frame about 3/4 of an inch
Drink
pull pulley and pump out and put the new one back in
Play this record backwards, including drinking.
Flush coolant system
FYI don't forget to tighten up the motor mount when you are done.

New water pump - 42.50
New coolant - 20.00
6 pack of Torpedo Double IPA - 7.50
2 hours away from the wife and kids - Very much worth it.

Again thanks to everyone for this and other help.

Adam Hoge
------------------------------
2006 T&C 3.8
2000 T&C 3.3 (deceased)
1972 Impala 400 custom

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
Stupid as it sounds, seems like water pumps on Grand vans goes better than on the short vans. A LONG pry bar between the frame rail and engine works wonders sometimes...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Warranty

I own a 2004 Anniversary Edition, and had the water pump replaced under warranty by the dealer in April 2010. I live in Canada, but I see no reason why the warranty and term should not be similar.

Should be covered under warranty. Im surprised you are DYI on this one since you own a 2006.
Looking at my receipt here, I had approximately 90,000 KM when the job was incurred. I believe I paid 100 in warrant deductible.

Should call the dealer re: the matter :thumb:

I can tell you who the dealer was, if required, so as to verify that Dodge does replace water pumps under warranty. Incidentally, I believe you have an 8 year power train warranty.

Just thoughts off the top of my head, as I read these posts relating to the issue. Cheers.

·
3,052 Posts
I own a 2004 Anniversary Edition, and had the water pump replaced under warranty by the dealer in April 2010. I live in Canada, but I see no reason why the warranty and term should not be similar.

Should be covered under warranty. Im surprised you are DYI on this one since you own a 2006.
Looking at my receipt here, I had approximately 90,000 KM when the job was incurred. I believe I paid 100 in warrant deductible.

I can tell you who the dealer was, if required, so as to verify that Dodge does replace water pumps under warranty. Incidentally, I believe you have an 8 year power train warranty.

Just thoughts off the top of my head, as I read these posts relating to the issue. Cheers.
7 year, 70,000 mile powertrain warranty went away in (I believe) 05. The 06 would only have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2007 grand caravan

You most definitely have to drop both motor mounts. With droping both you can not get the pump and pully out.

I just traded it in for a 2010.

·
3,052 Posts
You most definitely have to drop both motor mounts. With droping both you can not get the pump and pully out.

I just traded it in for a 2010.
I've watched several water pumps being done, and done 2 myself. You do not have to drop any motor mounts. Just take the pulley off the water pump before you unbolt the water pump. The most we ever have to do is take a long pipe and wedge the motor somewhat to the side. I've never, never, never seen anyone have to drop any motor mounts.

I also traded a 07 for a 10. Don't regret it at all. None. Love, love, love my 10.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,874 Posts

If you give a dealer the VIN number they can tell which warranties apply. :headbange

Recently our State inspection folks told me there was an outstanding recall on our van. :confused:

So I gave the VIN to the dealer and the VIN search said it had the recall performed in 2004. (!!!)

On the printout the dealer gave me, were all the warranty terms for our 2002. Basic, Rust, powertrain, A/C system, everything.

Oh yeah, the last one ran out two months ago... :lol: Of course!'

·
Registered
6 Posts
Water Pump Replacement

Thanks to the guy who posted the video link... pulled the three bolts on the mount, it still was a bit of a pain to pull the pump just because it is tight in there but no big deal.

If I would have had a hoist and air tools I probably could have beaten book time (1.5 hours) but even on the ground, it took maybe 2.5 hours.

I appreciate the assistance, even Alldata didn't tell me to pull the bolts on the mount...

·
Registered
741 Posts
I replaced pump 06 3.8 grand caravan 3 wks. ago. I say the mounting video bolts also. I would have used it if I had a problem without taking it out. I just twisted and turned it for a couple of minutes and it came right out. I wouldn't have tried that way and would have used mounting bolt release idea, but I saw a guy do it on video without removing mount bolts so i got confident I could do it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My pump started leaking recently, dripping every time I parked after a trip, there was some whining sound as well when driving. Got it changed at an indie garage for $200 bucks, they used a new Cardone unit. The guy who was doing it dropped the engine by taking out all three bolts of the engine mount, initially he had a jack underneath the engine with wood when he took the engine mount bolts out (took them out completely) than he hoisted the Van up without anything supporting the engine. Used the petcock to drain the coolant out and than took out the water pump, which was very easy to come out as the engine mount was completely disconnected. He used rtv to glue the gasket to the water pump, but he didn't using anything on the gasket side towards the water pump housing, he just put it on dry, no silicone grease or anything. After putting the new water pump back in, he lowered the Van from the hoist and than used floor jack to jack up the engine and put in all 3 engine mount bolts back in.

It's working fine now no more leaks, and the whining noise is gone as well. Could he have done some damage by not supporting the engine and letting it just hang there on the hoist without the engine mount? They did use zerex g05 coolant on my insistance, otherwise, they were just gona put in the stuff that came out. Also, I thought some dielectric or silicone grease was a good idea to put on the water pump gasket, I even brought it to his notice, but he said it's not needed and just put in the gasket dry. The other thing I noticed was that even though it was a new pump (Cardone) the pully side of the pump was pretty scuffed up (scratches), is this normal?

Everything is working good now, I can drive worry free again. Oh, forgot to mention the pump comes with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Replaced my 06 3 wks. ago. I never put any grease/etc on the outside of the gasket. I believe just a bit vasoline to that the gasket is helded slightly on surface until i mounted in the hole.

I never used any hoist, nor did i loosen mounts. I jiggled pump and back and fourth and it came out after about 2 minutes.

I don't believe the hoist without anything under would even effect it. I have seen engines lying on ground with just the oil pump holding engine up.

No concern there. About the antifreeze--is the g05 almost clear in color??

1 - 20 of 53 Posts