1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 grand caravan 3.8 liter, dual AC system. Replaced condenser, blocked
off leaking rear system, pulled vacuum no leaks. AC has not worked for one
and a half years. Need to add 3 oz of oil, wish to prevent liquid lock of
compressor. I have can of oil that will connect to yellow line of gauge.
Adding total of 3 oz (for condenser and drier).
Drier will be replaced immediately before final vacuum.

1.) Do I manually turn compressor how many turns before or after I
charge system with oil/freon?
2.) Do I add oil prior to Freon or after freon and which side high or low
pressure does the oil flow into through the yellow manifold hose?
I do know not to put amount of freon for a dual system but a single system.
3. ) Does the amount of 3 oz of oil account for any reduction of freon
considering it may be pressurized with freon? It is a very small can.

Additional tips and tricks appreciated. Thank you for your information

·
Registered
132 Posts
Only reason to manually turn the compressor is to confirm it is not seized. The amount of oil added is determined by the components replaced. Oil normally circulates with the gas and is supposedly evenly distributed over time. When shut down, a component with a large internal space will have a large amount of oil settle in it. A small component will have a small amount. You have read somewhere that condenser replacement requires the addition of 3 oz. This is because the old condenser should have had that much oil in it when removed. The fact you have blocked off part of the rear system should not matter. I would draw most of the new oil [2 oz] into the high pressure side port using a vacuum pump applied to the low side port. Pour 1 oz into the inlet of the condenser immediately before installation. You don't want the compressor to starve for oil and you don't want to flood it either.

The best way to do any of this is to drain/flush/remove every component you can and start from scratch but that is something I have never done. You are dealing with a system that has not operated for a long time and you have blocked off part of the system, so you are dealing with a very iffy situation.

Short video here.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Sorry to add confusion, but two things:

1. Adding too much oil to the system will cause liquid lock in the compressor, not prevent it.

2. Some components come filled with the correct amount of oil. I'd ask the manufacturer.

3. Too little is better than too much.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Personally, I've always pushed the oil in at the low side port... either as the first part of charging or using a pump system designed to inject safely into a pressurized system, but to each his own. Pretty good idea to add PAG46 with a leak detect UV to help find future leaks... and replacing the filter/drier on a system that has likely been depressurized for some time would likely be a good idea.

Still personally debating within myself over use of ICE32...

Would be hesitant to suggest connecting your charging oil/refrigerant cans to the high side port as this could be dangerous when the engine is running due to the high side pressures generated by the pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts