The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, trying to remove the passenger side wiper arm. It's stuck on there, I coated the threads with Liquid Wrench and tapped on it, even tried a 2 arm puller, but no luck.

Does anyone here have a suggestion for a good 2 arm puller? Or a better proceedure?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,887 Posts
I have successfully removed our wiper arms many times using Armor All as a penetrant. 'Rocking' the arms has released them for me. You might also rock them <--> in the direction of travel, perhaps the stuck one wasn't fully tightened and it is jammed in the splines.

Keep the puller tensioned on it, then apply a penetrant again a couple times over a few hours. Some vibration /tapping on the puller will help the penetrant do it's job.

If your issue is with the small puller not grabbing, try a different kind. I have this type:

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Atwell! I was wondering where you might have wandered off to after the demise of Yahoo Groups. Glad to see you are here and your help and advice are spot-on, as usual.

I will try Armor All and take another run at it. The 2 pronged puller from Advance Auto (it was a Sunday, after all) is junk, I will look for one like your have pictured.

Kind regards,

Ben

·
Super Moderator
24,378 Posts
Once you have the pressure on it with a puller, then give the puller a sharp tap downward with something to jar it loose. They stick on there pretty good and will come off with a large snap.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have successfully removed our wiper arms many times using Armor All as a penetrant. 'Rocking' the arms has released them for me. You might also rock them <--> in the direction of travel, perhaps the stuck one wasn't fully tightened and it is jammed in the splines.

Keep the puller tensioned on it, then apply a penetrant again a couple times over a few hours. Some vibration /tapping on the puller will help the penetrant do it's job.

If your issue is with the small puller not grabbing, try a different kind. I have this type:

GOOD LUCK!

Atwell, where did you get this puller? I found the company, but can't find the puller, thanks!

Ben

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,887 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Ben. I've been on these forums since 2007...but @Jeepman makes me hide under a rock!

????

My tools are so old, I can't remember where I bought the one I have (which is similar, but not an exact match). I'd ask at a local auto parts store or maybe Harbor Freight.

If you order from Amazon, the Lisle 54150 is robust although it is a two-jaw puller. The ones pictured above are also available from Amazon:

FIRSTINFO Light Windscreen Wiper Arm Remover (Fit Opening Dimension:15.2mm)

Amon Tech Windscreen Window Wiper Blade Arm Puller Auto Remover Removal Tool

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the cheap Harbor Freight pullers. I used the smallest size with the nut (but not too far, similar to removing a ball joint or tie rod end nut) loosened and a cheap socket (not going to use the good ones just in case) on the nut. I then got the arms under and used the socket to take pressure or force vs the wiper mount itself. Alot easier to keep it on the socket versus trying to keep it on the mount only. Worked great.

·
Super Moderator
24,378 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Ben. I've been on these forums since 2007...but @Jeepman makes me hide under a rock!

????

My tools are so old, I can't remember where I bought the one I have (which is similar, but not an exact match). I'd ask at a local auto parts store or maybe Harbor Freight.
Go back into hiding under the rock, and take those old, outdated tools with you. :p

This tool works for me. When used on tie rod ends though, I use a different bolt in it for clearance. Wiper blade arms loosen up in fear before it's even tightened up much. :)

Universal Tie Rod End Separator

The inexpensive removal tools tend to bend or the plastic breaks. Very light duty, but similar, more heavy duty tools, are used by the windshield replacement Shops.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi, trying to remove the passenger side wiper arm. It's stuck on there, I coated the threads with Liquid Wrench and tapped on it, even tried a 2 arm puller, but no luck.

Does anyone here have a suggestion for a good 2 arm puller? Or a better proceedure?

Thanks,

Ben
Put the nut on a few turns and put something like a block of wood under the arm holding it putting pressure on the arm and tap the nut with a hammer. Also a good way to remove tie rod ends.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also had a terrible time getting the passenger side wiper arm off my Gen4. I finally got it off with a puller like this:

After I tightened it as much as I could by hand, I gave it a hit with a hammer and the blade popped of with a loud POP.. I thought I had cracked the windshield, but I had not. Before I put the arm back on, I used some Anti-Seize on the stub so hopefully next time won't be so bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This tool works for me. When used on tie rod ends though, I use a different bolt in it for clearance. Wiper blade arms loosen up in fear before it's even tightened up much. :)

Universal Tie Rod End Separator
I used this exact tie rod end separator tool when swapping wipers between my about-to-be-hauled off 2005 GC and my new-to-me 2005 T&C. Due to clearance between the wiper arm and the plastic cowl, it would only fit in one position. 3 of the 4 wipers popped off without trouble, but with the fourth the tool was being forced off centre by the pressure, so I had to use a C-clamp to keep the tool's shaft centred on the wiper's shaft. It took more pressure than I though it should, but it finally popped. I used anti-seize compound on the wiper shafts when I reinstalled the wipers.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Double. Please delete

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

GOOD LUCK!
The one I have like this won't work on 5th gen wipers. Not enough reach to get to the stud.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts