The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, I have a 2006 base model, with the cluster that has only the speedometer and temp / gas gauges. I would like to add a cluster with a tach. is there a chance that it is plug and play? or if slight modifications, whats needed?

Thanks all.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Does anyone else find it slightly alarming that the once, *top of the mark* line of Chrysler minivans, no longer even includes a tachometer on its list of standard features.

I had no idea.

So regentselite has uncovered yet another unbelievable factor that just strengthens the argument of how a BASE 3rd gen. Town & Country is MILES ahead of a 4th gen.

To answer your question, I'm sure it can be done seeing as the footprint is the same. Your van is probably wired for the full-cluster so perhaps you can just install a new one with little or no wire-running, but again I don't know.

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
So regentselite has uncovered yet another unbelievable factor that just strengthens the argument of how a BASE 3rd gen. Town & Country is MILES ahead of a 4th gen.
My 1999 didn't have a tach either.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
All else being equal, I'd much prefer safety features and overall ride/refinement over the simple inclusion/deletion of an instrument that doesn't really get used anyway in an automatic transmissioned-vehicle. But that's just personal opinion obviously.

·
Vendor
565 Posts
hey all, I have a 2006 base model, with the cluster that has only the speedometer and temp / gas gauges. I would like to add a cluster with a tach. is there a chance that it is plug and play? or if slight modifications, whats needed?

Thanks all.
My 2007 also had the 3 gauge instument panel and I installed a four gauge used 2007 cluster with tach. Very easy to do in less than an hour. The odometer is not stored in the cluster so it will reflect your true mileage from your vehicle when swapped.

Frank
99 DGC Sport 126500 mi
07 T&C SWB 10900 mi

·
Registered
650 Posts
Bring back full gauges!

I suspect they're following Toyota which uses the *cyclops speed-o-meter* and no tach...
Toyota still has a tach.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2007 also had the 3 gauge instument panel and I installed a four gauge used 2007 cluster with tach. Very easy to do in less than an hour. The odometer is not stored in the cluster so it will reflect your true mileage from your vehicle when swapped.

was it just drop in? or does it require any mods?

·
Vendor
565 Posts
was it just drop in? or does it require any mods?
Plain drop in with no mods for my 2007. I reviewed the 2007 service manual and saw no differences on cables between the two clusters so I ordered one off Ebay. My only beef is that the layout between my 1999 and 2007 four gauge clusters are not the same, they are opposite. On one the speedometer is on the left and on the other it is on the right.

Frank
99 DGC Sport 126600 mi
07 T&C SWB 10900 mi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok

I tried to do this dash cluster swap on my '03 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V but I experienced some minor problems.

The clusters are the identical size so no problem with the actual physical fit.

However, I came up with some minor electrical glitches which I hope someone can help with.

After the swap was made, all gauges and "idiiot" lights work correctly. However, the following items have issues:

1. Neither of the turn signal indicators light up inside the cluster and there is no "clicking" sound either but the turn signals actually work on the outside.

2. Same deal as above with the hazard flashers (no visuaal or audio indication but they do work on the outside)

3. The high beam lamp indicator does not operaate correctly.

I have tried this swap with 2 different clusters with the exact same results.

Is there something else that must be done to get this to work? Would disconnecting the battery reset everything?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Ok

I tried to do this dash cluster swap on my '03 Dodge Grand Caravan C/V but I experienced some minor problems.

The clusters are the identical size so no problem with the actual physical fit.

However, I came up with some minor electrical glitches which I hope someone can help with.

After the swap was made, all gauges and "idiiot" lights work correctly. However, the following items have issues:

1. Neither of the turn signal indicators light up inside the cluster and there is no "clicking" sound either but the turn signals actually work on the outside.

2. Same deal as above with the hazard flashers (no visuaal or audio indication but they do work on the outside)

3. The high beam lamp indicator does not operaate correctly.

I have tried this swap with 2 different clusters with the exact same results.

Is there something else that must be done to get this to work? Would disconnecting the battery reset everything?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Mike
IIRC, for 2003, the base caravans, without a tachometer, did not have the "eyebrow" above the instrument cluster. This "eyebrow" (or "Information Center" as it was labeled in previous generations), contains the high beam indicator and the left and right turn signal indicators, so these thre lights are not in the actual instrument cluster with a tachometer. So that would explain why the turn signal arrows did not work--they were not present in the instrument cluster.

I don't know for sure, but I think the 2003 models had a plastic panel in place of the eyebrow unit. In order to get these to work, you will have to add the eyebrow unit, and connect it up.

Or possibly, you could substitute an instrument cluster from a 2005 or later Caravan, Grand Caravan, or Town & Country. I don't know anything about whether the connections will fit.

In a 2006, this would not be an issue, because starting in 2005, the "eyebrow" has been eliminated, and all dash clusters have the turn signals and high beam indicators included.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Does anyone else find it slightly alarming that the once, *top of the mark* line of Chrysler minivans, no longer even includes a tachometer on its list of standard features.

I had no idea.

To answer your question, I'm sure it can be done seeing as the footprint is the same. Your van is probably wired for the full-cluster so perhaps you can just install a new one with little or no wire-running, but again I don't know.
Well, they also used to have Plymouth line. The Chrysler name took up the slack. If you look around you will find that Chrysler put different headlights on some of the lower end t&C's as well.

·
Latent car nut
9,338 Posts
IIRC, for 2003, the base caravans, without a tachometer, did not have the "eyebrow" above the instrument cluster. This "eyebrow" (or "Information Center" as it was labeled in previous generations), contains the high beam indicator and the left and right turn signal indicators, so these thre lights are not in the actual instrument cluster with a tachometer. So that would explain why the turn signal arrows did not work--they were not present in the instrument cluster.

I don't know for sure, but I think the 2003 models had a plastic panel in place of the eyebrow unit. In order to get these to work, you will have to add the eyebrow unit, and connect it up.

Or possibly, you could substitute an instrument cluster from a 2005 or later Caravan, Grand Caravan, or Town & Country. I don't know anything about whether the connections will fit.

In a 2006, this would not be an issue, because starting in 2005, the "eyebrow" has been eliminated, and all dash clusters have the turn signals and high beam indicators included.
Good point, our 2003 does indeed have an "eyebrow" component inserted into the top of the dash, so your sugestion that the 2003 models that don't have the eyebrow probably have a blank plate covering the mount point for the eyebrow is most likely spot on.

To the OP, you might want to check with the bone yard where you got your cluster(s) from and see if you can steal the eyebrow as well. ;)

Edit:
I've never really noticed it up 'till now, but our 1998 has a very different eyebrow arrangement. The dash panel is actually comprised of seperate front and rear components. The forward or front unit has the eyebrow indicators effectively built into the trailing edge of the panel, and the rear component that frames the actual instrument cluster has what I might call a long trough that doesn't follow the contour of the forward panel, effectivel exposing the indicators.

Hmmm, I'm thinking that description doesn't really do justice to how it's configured. Maybe I'll just take a couple of pictures and post them instead. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts

Great post!

OK, so now let's see if the '06 will work in the '03...

Mike Paz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.