The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a lurker here a while and now a new member.I have a 2006 T&C LX that has the following issue. The overhead map/reading lights will come on, but won't turn off when clicking (pressing) the lens to click the switch. Now the bulbs are new, was some minor burnt areas, but no problem there. I'm thinking the switches (but both sides?) or wiring is a problem. Suggestions? Would love to get advice from the large experience base here before I delve in! Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Welcome to the Site! Sorry I can't help you, have no experience with the items you are referring to, but there are many people who will be able to help! Let us know how it goes, and Best of Luck! :thumb:

·
5000 Club
5,667 Posts
Just the front reading lights? Could be two bad switches but the odds are very low. Don't recall the configuration but is the lighting control switch set correctly? Two power feeds from the BCM: courtesy lamp driver and reading lamp driver. The reading lamps push switch position just sets the ground for either source. I'd have to guess and say you have constant power at the courtesy light position for some reason. Could be the BCM itself or wiring or the lighting control switch. In any case disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes as a BCM reset. Hope you're lucky.

Want the wire diagrams? Send me an email address to send them to via a private message. How? Click RIP at left.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
My '06 had the same burning problem. These lights are a faulty design in that the bulbs are too large for the space, the lens and the plastic base.

I installed cool-burning LED bulbs and removed the plastic shield which was burned, as was the lens and plastic bulb base.

The original bulbs are not only oversize in wattage but physically too large for the space, I had a hard time getting them out. This bulb base is also an off-size in the LED world, it is just a bit larger than the normal sizes. I had to do a bit of modifying which I'll be glad to explain if you go this route.

These lights can be turned on permanently by the panel light wheel on the left side adjacent to the HL switch. When that wheel is rotated to full top position all interior lights stay on no matter what you do to the lens. Also the lens switches may be heat damaged - this is a terrible design and even unsafe because of fire possibilities.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '06 had the same burning problem. These lights are a faulty design in that the bulbs are too large for the space, the lens and the plastic base.

I installed cool-burning LED bulbs and removed the plastic shield which was burned, as was the lens and plastic bulb base.

The original bulbs are not only oversize in wattage but physically too large for the space, I had a hard time getting them out. This bulb base is also an off-size in the LED world, it is just a bit larger than the normal sizes. I had to do a bit of modifying which I'll be glad to explain if you go this route.

These lights can be turned on permanently by the panel light wheel on the left side adjacent to the HL switch. When that wheel is rotated to full top position all interior lights stay on no matter what you do to the lens. Also the lens switches may be heat damaged - this is a terrible design and even unsafe because of fire possibilities.
Well It is now 2018 and this issue still affects those of us holding on to our old 2006 T&C's for dear life. Has any one found a fix for burned socket bases that the bulbs screwed into? Can they be removed and replaced and then filled in with a cooler burning LED?

Anyone still out there who has the answer? Thanks

·
Registered
908 Posts
No answer here except that I carry an LED light with me in the console area because neither of my front map lights work due to the design of the original fixture/housing!

To me, it seems like you might have to remove/replace the entire overhead console unit, and I don't feel like doing that job.

Nate

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Welcome to the forum VanGram.

I noticed that my map light was inop the other night and will look into it when I get in there to change my bulb.
It is important too use the same bulb or perhaps an LED that a) draws less wattage and b) radiates less heat.

Perhaps someone changed the bulb and put in something other than OEM spec.

Again, Welcome to the Mopar MiniVan Garage!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Does anyone have instruction as to how to open the light for bulb replacement / inspection?

Mine 2002 TnC Limited.

Do I try to release the "push to actuate" lens somehow, or should I approach it from the 'remove to service' approach?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
FabricGATOR
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing