The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van has manual heating, driver and passenger zones, plus rear heat and AC.

The drivers temperature control outputs unheated air as you move the slider from cool to hot. Once you reach the far right of the temperature control,it outputs full heat. Move the slider just a small amount to the left (toward cool) and the output is immediately unheated air.

To resolve the problem, I replaced the driver's blend door actuator and successfully ran the calibration routine as outlined below.

With the replacement actuator, the drivers side now puts out warm air at the far right maximum heat setting. Like before, moving the slider just a bit toward the cool setting results in unheated air. The passenger side still works correctly.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to resolve this problem? I saw a few posts that referenced broken blend doors, but that does not seem to be my issue, because moving the slider does have some affect on the temperature of the air coming out of the driver's side vents.

A/C-HEATER CONTROL CALIBRATION

The A/C-heater control module must be recalibrated each time an actuator motor or the A/C-heater control is replaced. If the vehicle is so equipped, the calibration procedure also includes rear HVAC positions for each actuator motor.

Turn the ignition switch to the On position.
If equipped with the manual temperature control (MTC) system, press and hold the Rear Wipe/Wash and Recirculation buttons for at least five seconds . If equipped with the automatic temperature control (ATC) system, simultaneously press and hold the Power and Recirculation buttons on the A/C-heater control for at least five seconds . The MTC A/C-heater control Rear Wipe/Wash button light emitting diode (LED) and Recirculation button LED, or the ATC A/C-heater control Delay and Recirculation graphics will begin to flash when the calibration procedure has begun.
The calibration procedure should take less than two minutes to complete for the manual A/C-heater control, and less than twenty seconds for the ATC A/C-heater control. When the LEDs or graphics stop flashing, the calibration procedure is complete.
If the LEDs or graphics continue to flash beyond the two minute (manual) or twenty second (ATC) calibration time, it indicates that the A/C-heater control has detected a failure and a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been set. Refer to Body Diagnostic Procedures to perform further diagnosis. The LEDs or graphics will continue to flash even after the ignition switch is cycled Off and On, until a successful calibration is completed or until the vehicle has been driven about 13 kilometers (8 miles) .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have done some additional troubleshooting, and am hoping someone can offer some assistance,

The van has manual dual zone heat and AC including rear heat and AC. The driver's side temperature control does not work. I get unheated air all the way until the slider is moved all the way to the right (full hot position). Moving it just a fraction to the left, and the air is immediately unheated, there is no blending. The passenger control works fine.

I tested moving the the driver side blend door manually. It produces a full range of air from unheated to blended to full hot.

I swapped in a known good HVAC control, did the calibration, and still have the problem. NOTE: The calibration procedure fails for both the original HVAC control and the known good one that I tried. The calibration ends with a blinking light vs going dark.

When the driver's temp slider is moved from full cold to full hot I can hear the drivers blend door actuator run for just a few seconds. The passenger side actuator, which works correctly, runs longer.

Not sure what else I can try, besides trying another replacement actuator. I understand a DBIII scanner is needed to read the HVAC error code. I may need to take this to a shop to at least see if a code gives a clue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is an update, in case someone else with the same issue discovers this thread. had no luck resolving this issue. I have tried different actuators and a known good HVAC control. I think it is time to take the van to a professional who has a DRBIII scanner to see if there are any stored codes related to this problem. If I get the issue resolved, I will update this thread with the solution.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion. I disconnected the cables, touched the together, reattached the cables to the battery, ran the recalibration routine, and still have the problem with the driver's side blend door. The calibration routine did indicate an error (kept flashing) after completed, so hopefully there will be a code for someone to read.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts