The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I have an '07 Town and Country that I purchased via an estate sale about a month ago. It drives nicely, but there are a couple niggling problems that I now have, and I'm wondering if maybe there's something obvious I should look at, or if there are deeper issues:

• After getting the oil changed for the first time since purchasing it, the oil pressure light will regularly (about 80% of the time) come on at startup. If I immediately shut the engine off and restart, it goes out. Oil is at max, so I'm not worried about oil-related badness, but boy is it disconcerting to see that light on.
  • The heat worked well in December, but a couple weeks ago, it started to take for-e-ver to heat up (20 min or so, after my temperature gauge gets up to about 50%... maybe). Idling won't get the heat going at all. I've read that this can either be fluid levels or the thermostat, so I plan to check/replace those, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.
Anyhoo, after driving a Saturn for the last few years, I'm enjoying the heck out of the van. Home Depot trips are WAY easier, certainly (which can be dangerous), and it handles GREAT in the snow. Looking forward to keeping it around for a while.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Latent car nut
8,842 Posts
Following a cold start, does the oil light stay on until you shut the engine off, regardless of how long you run the engine?

Regarding your heat situation; the odds are upwards of 95 to 99 percent you have one or two of the problems you listed above. Make sure the coolant in the radiator is right up to the pressure cap (the level in the reservior is irrelevant unless it is all the way down). If the coolant is up to the pressure cap, then the thermostat is the next stop.

·
Registered
229 Posts
On the oil light, I'd suspect the oil pressure sensor. Your symptoms are a classic sign of a sensor on the way out. It's right near the oil filter.

As for the heat thing, probably the thermostat stuck open. Are the radiator hoses hot?

·
Registered
409 Posts
IMo the thermostat is messing him up, thats why takes forever to heat up, Honestly better have that problem than a closed thermostat :D ... thats a quick fix.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
What shipo/RIP said:)

Went through the same low radiator thingie recently.

I had gotten too used to just looking at the reservoir and it caught me short when I finally looked at the radiator, but I caught it before it became a heat problem.

Marve, he mentioned the gage in his second bullet paragraph.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Following a cold start, does the oil light stay on until you shut the engine off, regardless of how long you run the engine?
Yes. The light won't go off by itself.
When restarting, it goes out every time.

Regarding your heat situation; the odds are upwards of 95 to 99 percent you have one or two of the problems you listed above. Make sure the coolant in the radiator is right up to the pressure cap (the level in the reservior is irrelevant unless it is all the way down). If the coolant is up to the pressure cap, then the thermostat is the next stop.
Yep, that's what I figured... ended up leaving for work too late to check the coolant this morning, so I'll be doing it midday and acting accordingly. However, I may as well go pick up another thermostat (and it seems an oil pressure sensor) anyway. Now to find a day when it isn't 10 degrees out to change them!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone, BTW! And, for the record, I'm a she. :biggrin:

I get rear heat, but it's got the same problem as the front heat - it'll heat up eventually once the temp gauge is up at about half. The problem is, my drive into work is only about 1/2 hour, on back roads, and the mornings have been about 10 degrees, so no real warmup on the way in. Heat is more like someone forcefully exhaling on me. :p

All great responses, and I appreciate the feedback (thanks to Ed as well for mentioning the oil pressure sensor)! I'll poke back in once we get things swapped out and let you all know how it worked out. Here's hoping we get a day above 15 degrees or so... that doesn't come with either rain or snow.

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Thanks to everyone, BTW! And, for the record, I'm a she. :biggrin:

I get rear heat, but it's got the same problem as the front heat - it'll heat up eventually once the temp gauge is up at about half. The problem is, my drive into work is only about 1/2 hour, on back roads, and the mornings have been about 10 degrees, so no real warmup on the way in. Heat is more like someone forcefully exhaling on me. :p

All great responses, and I appreciate the feedback (thanks to Ed as well for mentioning the oil pressure sensor)! I'll poke back in once we get things swapped out and let you all know how it worked out. Here's hoping we get a day above 15 degrees or so... that doesn't come with either rain or snow.

:thumb:
She/he makes no difference here:)

Both mine heat up by the time I get to my mailbox or just after idling a few min, way before the temp gage gets to mid scale - so you definitely have a problem. These are about as good heating systems as I've seen on any auto. Only my wife's ancient Cad heats faster and it is a much larger engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts