The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sisters TnC, she went to start it one morning and it didn't do the usual click/fast clicks. It wanted to start, but you could tell nothing was going kablamo. Whirring noise.
Pulleys were moving. I still figured starter so I took it off, had tested, they SAID it was kaput, replaced, same problem.
Needs to be said that the day before this, she ran out of gas in BFE and she accepted 4 gallons of MINIMUM 2 year old fuel. It smelled...wow. Anyway, it ran seemingly fine. Until one time, right before she went home for the night, it didn't start, second try it did and sputtered a bit. She tried again and it was fine until morning.
I sucked as much fuel out as I could, thankfully she didn't have much anyway. I added good stuff and some treatment but still...
Everyone few tries I can kinda hear/feel like it's about to actually do something but nothing. Checked battery, good.

Could something be stopping plugs from zapping? Or maybe no fuel is making it where it needs to, thus, no booms can happen?
I can hear pump priming. No easy schrader valve to test if fuel is making it to the squirty parts though. Can't rent tester for a few days.
Tiny town. Loaner got stolen.

Her son was in a roll over night before last, 7 times. He's gonna make it. But he in Albuquerque and well, we're not too far but I'd love to get this going
for her so she can go visit him on her own time, when she wants to, not when we can get her there.
What should I be looking for?
You all are life safers, btw!

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
If pulleys are turning/engine is rotating when you crank the starter, then there is nothing wrong with the starter.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
A pretty easy way to find out if it’s a fuel issue is to spray some starting fluid into the intake/throttle body. If the van fires up then you know it’s a fuel issue. Brake clean or another similar flammable spray might work in a pinch if you don’t have starting fluid.

If the engine keeps cranking but doesn’t fire up then it’s likely a fuel or spark issue. I’m going to assume the engine has good compression since it was running recently. Air (intake) could be another potential problem but not likely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts