The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title states I have a 2008 chrysler town and country with a 3.8 motor, I have did nothing major to the motor, a new alternator, new plugs and wires, new coil pack, new water pump, and I did install 6 new fuel injectors, I also have a busted transmission, they did a diagnostic on the transmission and most likely is mechanical failure of the torque converter ( staying locked up all the time) and the CVI index for 4th and 5th gear was high ( clutches really worn)
So my question if I drop 3 to 5 thousand dollars for a transmission rebuild how long is the motor going to last,? Should I cut and run because of excessive mileage
Yes I can install a used transmission but how long will that last?
I can buy another van but I don't know when that will start needing repairs? I thought the transmission problems were non existing in the 2008 Mopar products ( I was wrong) I'm thinking of moving to a chrysler aspen ? Your thoughts on this, I'm on the fence here, please help.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
Torque converter staying locked up is usually a failure of a shift solenoid. I think it can be disconnected to allow the van to be driven again, or replace the faulty solenoid and keep driving until the rest of the transmission breaks. The 3.8 is a good engine and can still last a couple hundred thousand miles if maintained. I've heard of them with 300,000 to 400,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Torque converter staying locked up is usually a failure of a shift solenoid. I think it can be disconnected to allow the van to be driven again, or replace the faulty solenoid and keep driving until the rest of the transmission breaks. The 3.8 is a good engine and can still last a couple hundred thousand miles if maintained. I've heard of them with 300,000 to 400,000 miles on them.
I was told from the shop that looked at it( pretty decent shop was told) that it was a mechanical failure of the torque converter everything electrical checked out ok.
Would you please tell me where the shift solenoid might be located

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
I have no actual experience with the 62TE, but had a 5th gen van for 1 1/2 years. It is based on the 41TE that I do have experience with. The solenoids are under the front pan of the transmission, with the big electrical plug on it. Torque converter lock solenoid looks like this:

MOPAR 5169313AA {D262435A} Lock-Up Solenoid Info
4 Model; Trans. code 62TE; VFS; 1 Bolt; 2 Blade White Connector
Watch Clock Watch accessory Gas Electric blue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts