The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2008 Grand Caravan battery replacement

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  georgef 
#1 ·
Replacing the battery on 2008 Caravan, which IOD fuse is pulled to safeguard radio?

#2 · (Edited)
Never heard of anybody doing that. May have to reset a security code if you have one. Take the top off of the box containing the fuses and look at the diagram on the cover (inside) to see which fuse it is. You may need to use your Owner Manual as well.
This video has a wrong section in it but it shows the location of the fuse box and a couple other useful things.

#3 ·
How is pulling the fuse different from just unhooking the battery? It loses power supply either way.

If it's about preventing voltage spikes, the 12v battery can only supply 12v. I've replaced batteries a bunch of times, including in our 5th gen and our old 4th gen, and never had any apparent issues because I didn't pull fuses first.

If it's about some sort of current spike, that's what the fuse is for. Though I still can't remember replacing a fuse after a battery swap.

So, I wouldn't worry about it.

#4 ·
According to the TSB (08-003-09), before removing or reconnecting the battery, you should pull the 30 amp feed fuse for the radio (fuse M12). The TBS says that reconnecting the battery can cause electrical spikes which can damage the MyGig Radio.

The TSB applies to various 2008-2009 Dodge, Chrysler and Ram vehicles with the REN or REZ MyGig radio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.