The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 2008 Grand Caravan SXT. My driver's side map light is feeble, not nearly as bright as the passenger side. is this by design, or is something wrong?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your new van.

Something is wrong, my driver side is just as bright as my passenger on my 2010. Probably just needs a new bulb.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Is yours the type with incandescent bulbs where the lens is a big plastic circle that you press to tun on and off, or the type with black, barrel type swiveling airplane style lights? The reason I ask is because the former has bulbs you can change, and perhaps the dim bulb is just old and blackened. The latter is LED and there's nothing to change and I don't know what you could do to fix a dim one, short of replacing the whole console. In any case they are supposed to be the same brightness.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Welcome to the Site! They are supposed to be the same brightness, so would say you need to replace a bulb.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LED type, driver side definitely not as bright. Anybody experience this type of problem with the LED type lights? Any fix short of replacing the entier console unit (which would undoubtedly be an expensive proposition)? Thanks again...

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I haven't heard of this happening. You could remove the console and have a look at the lighting devices. It's all hardwired in plastic welded in place. Maybe there's a failed LED. The problem is that yes you could replace that little board with the LEDs on it, but to get that you would have to buy the whole console. You can try ebay for a used console. I bought the console with the LED lights on ebay. I have the incandescent one in a box in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
You can buy the LED reading lamp assemblies, they come in a pack of two. The Mopar part numbers that will fit are: 1DT52DW1AA, 1DT52DW1AB and 1DT52DW1AC. The MSRP is around $115, you can find them cheaper online.

You can probably buy a used overhead console much cheaper than that, and won't have the hassle of replacing the LED assembly.

See the following thread for how to replace the lamps: Replace Driver and Passenger Map lights

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
On my console they appear to be melted in place with that sort of plastic spot welding or whatever they call it. So I figured that meant it's not sold separately.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been a while, but I am glad to report a happy ending to the story. Found a used console on eBay for $35. No need to fiddle with any kind of plastic welded parts, it was a simple matter to swap out the actual bulb. Won't bore you with the details, though I'd be happy to share with anyone needing to undertake the project. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with thoughts, experience and advice. Regards...

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'm confused. You said it was the LED type, and now you say you could easily change the bulb. The LED type doesn't have bulbs. If it was th ebulb type, you would just buy a bulb. So what do you have? Can we see a pic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I remember when we bought our 08 used we had the same problem. LED I believe but dealer fixed it as it was still under warranty. Sorry can't be of more help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the confusion. Not a "bulb" per se, it's a little circular circuit board that fits into the swivel unit behind the push-to-click lens. It wires into the electrical system with a little snap-in connector. I'll follow up with a photo as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Trying once more, maybe a better view. the circuit board is held into place by two #8 torx screws. The board and the lens assembly are both slotted so they will only fit into their respective receivers one way. Watch out when you disassemble it, it has spring-like little metal connectors and it will "jump" out at you. Hold it in place and get a good look at how the pieces fit together before you remove the board and the lens. :)

The little metal "blade" near the pink grommet has to slip into a retaining slot on the back of the lens assembly, up and over the curved channel and down into the slot. Take a good look when you take it apart to observe how it fits.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
yeah I have looked at the back of mine many times. But I never looked at it in the context of needing to remove the board, since I never needed to remove the board or had any light problems. I could only remember the grey melted holding parts for the greater part there. but at least now I know I can pop out the board if I ever need to!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts