The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ahah, Totally Integrated Power Module. But where do I stick the meter probes to check the power at the TIPM ? I don't want to blow the thing up........

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,780 Posts
Just check at the end of the battery cable.

You can also check random fuses.

If you see power all over and still don't have lights, then more likely you have a loose battery connection. You might see voltage with your voltmeter, but not with a load.

You can also check voltage at the battery, then ask a helper (aka wife) to turn the lights on and seevif voltage drops.

Put your voltmeter leads on the actually battery cables (afrer the battery clamps), then ask your helper to turn lights on.

My bet is on that area.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is the fuse and relay box... It sometimes fails when subject to moisture and oxidation. Check your ground connection on chassis down under the TIPM, and also the ground strap on passenger side motor mount..
I hope it's not still the original 2008 battery you have there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks again Levy, I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks Invader, Initial inspection shows the TIPM to be bone dry and no signs of corrosion inside. The ground straps look good but when the battery is out being charged in the next day or so, I'll undo the earth connections to make sure they are good. The battery is a replacement Bosch ( don't have the spec to hand but much better than the original ) and that was fitted 2 years ago.

My over-riding puzzlement is how it all went suddenly dead. Anyway, I'll keep trying and post up what I find.

·
Super Moderator
22,056 Posts
"All went suddenly dead" means ??? Did you turn off your interior lights at the switch?

Check the voltage on the battery immediately and install immediately after charging. I'm thinking it has a dead cell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Jeepman. "all went suddenly dead" means that although there is charge in the battery, and the battery is connected - voltage measured at battery posts ( and at cables beyond connectors to battery posts ), absolutely nothing works. Put the key in the ignition and nothing, turn the key, nothing. The whole car is electrically dead. I'll be removing the battery, charging it, re-installing it, and we'll see where we are after that. More to follow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is the gateway or distribution box for nearly the entire electrical system in late-model Chrysler products. Its main purpose is to take the commands from various switches and other modules and send those commands in the form of voltage or ground to wherever it needs to go. " There is a known defect but Chrysler won't do anything about it. On our van we suspect the drain is from the fuel pump randomly staying on. There are several fixes for it which no not involve buying a new TIPM, as the fuel pump module is attached so you can't just replace it, you have to buy the whole thing. On certain Jeeps and Dodges, this was a recall, but not on the Caravans or T&C's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks dragynmyrlin, sounds like bad news re the TIPM. My recharge battery / reconnect in the hope that things came to life didn't work. The battery ( a Bosch S4 009, 680A, 74Ah ) is now showing a healthy 13.1 Volts, so that seems fine. However, and quite randomly, the electric seats now work, as do the headlights and interior lights, but still no locks / alarm or, crucially, ignition / start. The parasitic drain has increased to 6 amps now. I have found an old Chrysler dealer ( Chrysler no longer represented in the UK ) who has some original diagnostic kit / software and they have agreed to take the car and look at it ( at £ 115.00 per hour ! ). They may know about the TIPM and fuel pump issue, but I'll tell them never the less. These cars are not common over here ( especially in petrol form ) and they are a small dealer, so maybe they never came across it. I'll keep posting.

·
Super Moderator
22,056 Posts
I wonder if the battery was holding its charge before you installed it in the vehicle? That's another check. Sounds like it had a pretty quick voltage drop.

6 amp drain isn't small.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi Jeepman. This battery was fitted 2 years ago, and everything had been fine until fairly recently. The battery still holds its charge just fine as long as it's not connected, so I don't think it's got a dead cell, but the drain flattens it overnight if it's up at 6 amps. Other times, the drain is down at 0.25 amps if the car was dry. The big drain is when it's got wet. Anyway, the car has been dragged onto a trailer ( managed to unlock the gearbox but not the steering column ) and is on its way to the dealer. Fingers crossed they find the problem.......

·
Super Moderator
22,056 Posts
Good luck. Hope they find the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks dragynmyrlin, sounds like bad news re the TIPM. My recharge battery / reconnect in the hope that things came to life didn't work. The battery ( a Bosch S4 009, 680A, 74Ah ) is now showing a healthy 13.1 Volts, so that seems fine. However, and quite randomly, the electric seats now work, as do the headlights and interior lights, but still no locks / alarm or, crucially, ignition / start. The parasitic drain has increased to 6 amps now. I have found an old Chrysler dealer ( Chrysler no longer represented in the UK ) who has some original diagnostic kit / software and they have agreed to take the car and look at it ( at £ 115.00 per hour ! ). They may know about the TIPM and fuel pump issue, but I'll tell them never the less. These cars are not common over here ( especially in petrol form ) and they are a small dealer, so maybe they never came across it. I'll keep posting.
We had to replace the computer on ours because of a drain. Still have an issue on occasion, thus the TIPM, but the computer was replaced and car mostly is fine, fuel pump issues not withstanding.

·
Super Moderator
22,056 Posts
Have you tried a different battery?

Certainly sounds like a bad battery, but that has been pretty much ruled out.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts