The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 T&C Limited 4.0. 95,000 miles. Normally starts and runs great. Had a couple of problems recently when it was warm outside. When we got to our destination, the vehicle had been off for 10-15 minutes. When we got back in and tried to start the vehicle it would turn over v e r y slow and then just stop cranking. Maybe 2-3 seconds. Repeated attempts, same results. Tried to jump start the vehicle thinking the battery was going bad and had the same results. After sitting for a short while the vehicle fired right up as if there was no problem.

Had the battery checked and it tested fine. Battery terminals looked fine, but I removed cables and cleaned the posts and inside of the cables, re-installed and made sure that they were tight. Did the same thing again today....

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
115 Posts
For a slow crank the order should be: Check/clean battery terminals (are they tight?), test battery, test alternator, then test starter. Sounds like you're on the right track. Check where the negative lead connects to the engine block. It is one the drivers side, can be reached from the bottom side. Take it off the engine block and check for corrosion. Known problem area. Also check battery to starter lead connections (corrosion/tight).

Charge your battery overnight see if the issue goes away. I have had kids leave stuff on and it will drain the battery dead-dead. A trickle charge is the only way to get it back. These vans have so many drains on the battery it is difficult to get it charged back up by normal driving. Especially if the alternator is marginal.

Test your alternator O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc... can check that as well. If all that checks out it is time to pull the starter and have it tested.

The starter is hard to get to and hard to pull. Small hands and patience are a plus (I have neither and I did manage). Once it is pulled O'Reilly's, Autozone... can test it for you also.

Best of luck.

·
5000 Club
5,744 Posts
Something was hot soaked and failed. A moving van will cool. Turn it off and heat builds up in many components until time forces it to cool. The starter is the easiest to eliminate. Next time it fails to crank remove the starter relay and jump contacts 30 and 87 on the relay socket. The starter should crank right away keys in your pocket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. 'slackjawedloser' I think I saw something similar in another post, possibly also posted by you. I removed and cleaned the cable to the starter and the ground yesterday morning. Time will tell if this has taken care of the problem....

'RIP' Thanks for the starter info. If it does this to me again, at least I will have something to do while waiting for the tow truck or until it starts..... :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Chrysler has issued the following recall in North America:

— 695,957 minivans and SUVs because the ignition switch can slip out of the "run" position. The recall includes the 2007-2009 Chrysler Town & Country, 2007-2009 Dodge Grand Caravan and 2007-2009 Dodge Journey. Chrysler recalled and repaired 2010 models of the same vehicles three years ago. Customers with questions can call 1-800-853-1403.

____

1 - 5 of 5 Posts