The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 T&C LTD 4.0 with about 108K

It has developed an oil leak apparently from the joint between the oil cooler and the oil filter adapter.
I find that the only way to replace this gasket / seal /o-ring is to buy and replace the whole oil cooler assembly for about $100.
I think this is nuts for a $10 part. OK, it's probably a $20 part.
I have looked all over the internet parts suppliers, local parts stores like Advanced and AutoZone,O'Rielly and the local Chrysler dealer parts dept (in person with VIN # in hand) no joy.
I find some that say they will fit, but only motors manufactured after April or May 2008. Mine was built in February 2008
I find some that claim they fit, but when I call the supplier, it turns out that they only fit the 3.6
Also, some illustrations show the big mounting bolt that goes up through the adapter has 2 o-rings on it, others not.
This part # claims to fit, but I can't verify it.

Oil Filter Adapter Gasket - Mopar (4892378AA)

As does this one, 05093807AA

I'm not real worried about buying a $15 part that doesn't fit, but I don't want to tear it down and find out that it doesn't fit when I try to put it back together.

I throw myself upon the collective wisdom of the forum
Thank you in advance for any input or advice you may have

=Dave=
08 T&C Limited

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, they tell me that the 4892378AA is the one. I ordered it, we shall see.
I do hope it's correct, since I really don't want to have to put it back together with the old leaky gasket.

I will report back.

=Dave=

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gasket arrived this morning.It was the correct one!

Installing was pretty easy. I had changed the oil & filter 250 miles ago, so I wasn't about to toss them away. I drained the oil into a clean drain pan, and saved it to put back.
I wasn't going to take the filter off, but you do need to take it off so you can get to a 10 mm bolt behind it. Otherwise, a 24 mm wrench is all you need.
My old gasket was hard and dried out, the new one was flexible and supple.

Herre is /are a couple of pics, if I can post 2 of them, otherwise here's one.

=Dave=

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
Thanks for the great information. You were successful. (y)
Rockauto shows it as 4892378AA

I noticed a 2013 GC in a Shop recently, with an oil cooler leak problem. The Dealership had the part in stock, which says something like "it must be a common problem". That's a 3.6L engine.

I can't say I have noticed much on here about oil cooler leaks/problems though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kept getting confusing info as to what part was correct for my van. The dealer's parts guy told me the part wasn't available, and several of the websites I checked said it was discontinued.
The dealer said my only choice was to replace the oil cooler for about $100. I showed up with a print out showing what I wanted and the vin # of my van. I am baffled as to why the guy couldn't come up with the right part. Maybe he thought I was going to pick his brain then buy online. True, I could get the part online for $13 and he probably wanted $20+ plus tax, but by the time the gasket was shipped it cost me $21. And I would have cheerfully paid that or a bit more for a part today or tomorrow. I'd have been happy to just have the issue of which part solved.

=Dave=

1 - 5 of 5 Posts