The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2008 Chrysler town and country. So I have an engine leak which leaks only when I drive, the whole passengers side engine is soaked with oil. Tried looking for a leak but can’t find. If you guys know the issue that would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
132 Posts
So I have a 2008 Chrysler town and country. So I have an engine leak which leaks only when I drive, the whole passengers side engine is soaked with oil. Tried looking for a leak but can’t find. If you guys know the issue that would be helpful. Thanks
Is the fluid oil (brown-black looking) or is it transmission type fluid (red). You could start by checking the power steering reservoir, which is located on the passenger side. Check the level of that, if it's low, add. That would be quite easy to find the leak, the hoses are mostly visible. Next is the transmission, check the level with the engine running. Depending on if the engine is cold or warm, the fluid level will change, so if your engine is cold make sure you check the "cold part" of the dipstick and vise versa for hot. If you have a leak with the transmission fluid it will likely be a cooler line or hose from the transmission to the cooler. Engine oil, check the dipstic with the engine not running. If you have an oil leak while the engine is running it will usually be the oil cooler line as well, but there are multiple places it could be leaking from. I would suggest looking from the bottom with the engine running and at least pinpoint where the fluid seems to be coming from. It could also be a engine seal, which would be less likely for it to leak that much, but even a little leak over time will soak everything.

·
Super Moderator
23,255 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the fluid oil (brown-black looking) or is it transmission type fluid (red). You could start by checking the power steering reservoir, which is located on the passenger side. Check the level of that, if it's low, add. That would be quite easy to find the leak, the hoses are mostly visible. Next is the transmission, check the level with the engine running. Depending on if the engine is cold or warm, the fluid level will change, so if your engine is cold make sure you check the "cold part" of the dipstick and vise versa for hot. If you have a leak with the transmission fluid it will likely be a cooler line or hose from the transmission to the cooler. Engine oil, check the dipstic with the engine not running. If you have an oil leak while the engine is running it will usually be the oil cooler line as well, but there are multiple places it could be leaking from. I would suggest looking from the bottom with the engine running and at least pinpoint where the fluid seems to be coming from. It could also be a engine seal, which would be less likely for it to leak that much, but even a little leak over time will soak everything.
Everything is good. Drips of oil is brown. And the hood is all in oil from the inside. It only leaks I guess from pressure when it’s running.

·
Super Moderator
23,255 Posts
How's your power steering fluid level looking? Was the vehicle on a hoist recently? Any pictures? Has your crankcase been overfilled?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts