The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2008 T&C, it misfires and we can't find the reason why it does that. Code reader said cyl. 3 we checked the sparkplugs, cables and even changed the fuel injector. After that code reader says now random misfire. At my witts end now... Any suggestions on what to check next?
We did compression check too and it's good.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L
145 Posts
Did you check the coil pack? It’s the thing where all the spark plug wires come out of. Should have six wires originating from it and they’ll lead to the spark plugs.

How did you check the spark plugs and wires?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We replaced the wires and also checked for a spark when cable is off. The distributor cap is brand-new as well...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Try switching the spark plugs around. So change the cylinder 3 spark plug and move it to cylinder 1, and put the cylinder 1 plug to cylinder 3. If the misfire moves from cylinder 3 to 1 then you know the spark plug is bad.

I’m not sure I understood you when you said you checked for a spark when the cables are off. How would the spark plug spark when it isn’t connected to anything? Did you use a spark plug tester and look for a spark (if that’s what you mean)?

Besides this it could be an O2 sensor. There are a few other possibilities as well but those aren’t too likely.

Check to see if there are any intake or vacuum leaks because those can cause misfires too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know exactly how the sparkplugs were tested. I am just the middle woman here
It is the car that I am driving for work though.
My Boss is the one fixing it and he told me he checked the sparkplugs and they are new as well. He put new wires and a new distributor box and a new fuel injector. I think he has a general idea on how to fix a car, he has like 10 of these. The others are Dodges though....
Only this one is giving us grief, like a true Princess
The car also says check TPM system, whatever that means....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok I see. 1. Just because the parts are new, it doesn't mean they are good. 2. Chrysler makes dodge so they should be exactly the same under the hood, given the model, year, etc. are the same. 3. The dash light that says check TPM system is most likely a dead sensor, so you can ignore that. If your sensors are still working then this sign could be up because you have low tire pressure. Otherwise, you can ignore this sign.

What I advise is to tell your boss to check the new parts he installed and see if they work properly, many videos show how to check various parts. The misfire could be caused by so many things, but usually, it's just caused by things you've already replaced. In this case, I would check the electrical connections. Make sure the connections are clean and make sure the wires are connected fully. See if there's any damage to any wires. Your boss has to check to see if electricity is reaching the parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for the advice. I will take the car home on Friday and have my roommate check it out. He's got all the tools including fuel pressure gauge and compression tester and whatever else he needs. I'll just have to feed him!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts