The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the site and I've done a bit of searching before I decided to make a post and reach out. I have a 2009 Dodge GC SE with power sliding doors. Now I know its common issues and how the doors have numerous issues. Well luckily for us we were visiting a friend when the recent issues struck. The drivers side sliding door did its typical intermittent close to about 95% and then stopped. I usually just give it a nudge and it closes all the way. This time it didn't move and instead took some force to finally get it to latch. When opening it, I had the same issue and had to use my entire body weight to move the door a few inches. It appeared the motor was stuck engaged and was making it very hard to move. I couldn't get it to disengage to at least make it roll freely.
Fast forward to this morning, got a call from the wife while at work and the battery is completely dead, I think what happened was that the motor must have stayed "on" or "engaged" all night and killed the battery. Charge the battery back up and now the door miraculously moves freely again, but no power to the button that opens or closes the door as well as the power window in only that door. (Door locks work fine however)
Took the sliding door harness surrounded with the plastic track apart and found two wires completely separated. Did a test and reconnected the wires temporarily and the door and window now had power. Door was still acting a little strange but working.
My next task is trying to find the harness itself to replace the entire thing. All of my search results have turned up 4th gen harnesses or earlier. I think I have located a 5th gen harness but I am not 100% and want to make sure I order the right one. I am using the stealership as my last option. Does anyone know what the part number would be from rock auto or mopar oem sites? Again its the drivers side sliding door harness with plastic ribs and three plugs for a 2009 Dodge GC SE model. I included a general pic below for reference. So far I have found part # 68043333AB and they are costing between $120-$160.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ya know, with all this information floating around, you might think by now (especially with the interwebs) it would be easy to actually confirm the part you need...but nooooooooo
I need a wire track as well, but there apparently is more than one depending on the Chrysler sales codes ([JP5,CJ5], [JP5,JSC,CJ5], [JPD,CJ5] [JP5,JRB,CJ5], [JRB], [JSC,JRB,CJ5]. )
How am I to tell which stock codes is the one for my T&C ????

Stock Code 04869987AE ; 04869987AC; 04869987AD 04869979AE ; 04869979AC; 04869979AD 68043333AB ; 04869993AD; 04869993AC; 68043333AA

NUTZ! I though the original one on the vehicle would be marked...NOT.

Is there an easy way to find out or do I need to call the dealer. Or do I just buy the higher priced one because it has ALL of the wires in it for all of the options?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The easiest way to tell is to call the dealer and give them your vin # and they can tell you what you have

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Against my morals I decided to visit the stealership. At the least the parts woman was very knowledgable and gave me options on how to pick up the harness. Turns out the part number was actually on the harness, you just have to be a dodge guru to interpret what the numbers and letters mean. Driver side sliding door harness for the 09 Dodge Grand Caravan SE is "68043333AB". Dealership wants $209.00 + tax. Already found one via interwebs from a site claiming "genuine molar parts" for $120.00 free shipping. I think ill risk the $100 savings and get mine elsewhere.....
Ill follow up with a post once its ordered, installed, and fingers crossed working correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like you my battery was drained a few night ago after messing with the door...my 36 month battery was 32 months and it's been very hot and humid, so I opted to pickup a new battery. I should have read your original post more carefully...sigh.

I ordered the cable off of Ebay for $129 shipped. I just installed it and door works perfectly now. I did end up calling the dealership for the correct part number ( "68043333AB"). I had to remove the door step facia, the weather stripping up to the top corner, and the cover for the door post. Had I been thinking a little more I would have posted up a video of the change. Pretty simple actually.
Door opes and closes correctly, window works, etc.

Against my morals I decided to visit the stealership. At the least the parts woman was very knowledgable and gave me options on how to pick up the harness. Turns out the part number was actually on the harness, you just have to be a dodge guru to interpret what the numbers and letters mean. Driver side sliding door harness for the 09 Dodge Grand Caravan SE is "68043333AB". Dealership wants $209.00 + tax. Already found one via interwebs from a site claiming "genuine molar parts" for $120.00 free shipping. I think ill risk the $100 savings and get mine elsewhere.....
Ill follow up with a post once its ordered, installed, and fingers crossed working correctly.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's not that hard to do, I just fixed ours (for the umpteenth time) yesterday afternoon and wrote up all the instructions with pictures to make it easy in the 4th gen section (one of the stickied threads), since it is such a common issue.

It may take an hour or two, but will keep $209 in your wallet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You even beat me to buying it and replacing it. I am ordering mine tonight via amazon. Thank you a ton for posting your fix and that it worked well too! Gives me a little more hope that this will be the final fix. Like I mentioned earlier, our battery died that night, threw the trickle charger on it and got it back to 100%. Well the wife went to leave tonight and it was more than enough dead that the car wouldn't turn over, just clicked. Thankfully it was a bad cell in a warrantied battery so got that swapped out tonight as well.
When I removed the harness entirely the other day, I had to remove the door step facia, weather stripping, B pillar and small plastic sill attached to the driver seat. Once all of that was out, it was smooth sailing, I know how much easier it will go back in now. Ill follow up again with the conclusion once I get the harness in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CMNTMXR57 & RIP -
Yes Ive thought about just repairing the breaks, which I temporarily did to ensure this was my only issue. But if I repaired them I would really need to do them all. I've thought about the money savings portion of it but I would rather just rely on having a OEM one to ensure its all good. Call me crazy but for $120, ill risk it. Plus from my POV, if two of the ten or so broke now, I am sure I would be in there again fixing more when they snapped soon too.

It's not that hard to do, I just fixed ours (for the umpteenth time) yesterday afternoon and wrote up all the instructions with pictures to make it easy in the 4th gen section (one of the stickied threads), since it is such a common issue.

It may take an hour or two, but will keep $209 in your wallet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
CMNTMXR57 & RIP -
Yes Ive thought about just repairing the breaks, which I temporarily did to ensure this was my only issue. But if I repaired them I would really need to do them all. I've thought about the money savings portion of it but I would rather just rely on having a OEM one to ensure its all good. Call me crazy but for $120, ill risk it. Plus from my POV, if two of the ten or so broke now, I am sure I would be in there again fixing more when they snapped soon too.
This is exactly what happened with my '07. Found, and repaired, 2 wires. Even went so far as to thread 2 NEW wires thru the loom and make the repair at an area that wouldn't flex... worked great for a month or so, then another wire broke. You might get luckier than I did and not break another one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wasn't this covered under recall? I had mine replaced via recall within the past two years. I did have to call to Dodge to get them to authorize it but they didn't give me any flack and did it.

As far as I'm concerned, the orig fix was to "check and reroute" it so if it ever fails on me again I'm going call Dodge and have them fix it. Bad design.

CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 AND 2009 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN AND CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY THROUGH SEPTEMBER 2007. SOME OF THE VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITH AN IMPROPERLY ROUTED WIRE HARNESS THAT MAY HAVE A CONDITION WHERE THE LOWER SLIDING DOOR HINGE BRACKET CAN MAKE CONTACT AND WEAR THROUGH THE WIRE INSULATION.
Read more at https://www.cars.com/recalls/dodge-grand_caravan-2008/#XTS44aCYHh6LAbh8.99

1 - 12 of 12 Posts