The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Grand Caravan, and at Cold startups there is a high pitched, loud, screeching sound. It stays on for 60-90 seconds then goes away. I move the steering wheel while it is making the noise and the tone changes, but I think it is only because the pump is putting pressure on the motor and the RPM's drop a little. I believe there is bulletin out for the 2011-2014 model, but I cant find any information about the 2009. Does anyone have any thoughts.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sounds like power steering. Inside your power steering reservoir, there is a fine mesh screen and as time passes it gets clogged up restricting fluid flow, the cold makes it worse because the fluid is thicker. The restricted fluid flow is what's causing the power steering to screech. Solution is to replace the reservoir, as the screen to my knowledge is not removable.

Some people have suggested "poking" holes into the screen, not recommended because that screen is there to filter out debris.

My only concern is that it's for 60-90 seconds, most of the issues I've seen on this forum isn't that long from what I recall.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I cleared this up on an older T & C by siphoning out as much fluid from the power steering reservoir as possible (used a cheap turkey baster) and replaced it with ATF+4 transmission fluid. After the second time I did this never heard noise again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts