The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 DGC is at 188K now, and will probably cross the 200K mark within the next 6 mo or so. Around that mileage I know I'll be looking for new tires at $500+. I'm trying to think what other preventive stuff should be done. Rear pads & rotors replaced at 184K, still on original parts in front, so they'll prob be due by then. Trans oil change, radiator fluid change are pretty much givens. Power steering fluid? Radiator hoses? Brake fluid flush? What else would be advisable? What do you think each of these would cost? I'm trying to decide whether to trade up to a Pacifica- the cost of getting the DGC in good shape for another 50K or so will factor into my decision.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd check all hoses, drive belt, change power steering fluid and don't forget to check brake hoses. At that miles I would also look at tensioner and thermostat. If you want to get lots more miles think about timing chain guide for wear. This engine was featured at 600k.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Take a look at the Owner's Manual and go down the list.
Front end solid? Tires wearing evenly? don't worry until something is needed.
Hoses? I haven't heard of any hose failures, not even brake hose failures, for a very long time. Hoses and belts are a superior quality product these days, can't say the same for the plastic parts being used. Might consider replacing plastic with metal where available. Thanks to Dorman, there are some. Need a list?
Sway bar bushings? been replaced? noisy?
Serpentine belt/tensioner? should be checked
Brake fluid exchange? do when replacing calipers.
Coolant system? Radiator? use top quality coolant
Starter? been replaced?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd check all hoses, drive belt, change power steering fluid and don't forget to check brake hoses. At that miles I would also look at tensioner and thermostat. If you want to get lots more miles think about timing chain guide for wear. This engine was featured at 600k.
Thermostat replaced last yr. What tensioner are you talking about? Is there one on the timing chain? Any idea what it costs to have chain checked out? I assume that would require a certain amt of disassembly?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take a look at the Owner's Manual and go down the list.
Front end solid? Tires wearing evenly? don't worry until something is needed.
Hoses? I haven't heard of any hose failures, not even brake hose failures, for a very long time. Hoses and belts are a superior quality product these days, can't say the same for the plastic parts being used. Might consider replacing plastic with metal where available. Thanks to Dorman, there are some. Need a list?
Sway bar bushings? been replaced? noisy?
Serpentine belt/tensioner? should be checked
Brake fluid exchange? do when replacing calipers.
Coolant system? Radiator? use top quality coolant
Starter? been replaced?
Good idea to check owner's manual. Ya'd think I'd have thought of that, but I haven't. Front end seems solid, no noises or wandering behavior., Good suggestion to get brake fluid flush. No problems yet with starter. One thing I worry about is hoses- how long should I expect them to last? I don't feel any mushiness or swelling as yet.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Serpentine (drive) belt, right next to your thermostat. All belts have tensioners of some sort, this one is expensive.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Good idea to check owner's manual. Ya'd think I'd have thought of that, but I haven't. Front end seems solid, no noises or wandering behavior., Good suggestion to get brake fluid flush. No problems yet with starter. One thing I worry about is hoses- how long should I expect them to last? I don't feel any mushiness or swelling as yet.
The OE hoses on my 2003 Jeep were replaced about 4 years back (2018 or 2019), didn't need to be, no leaks. Hoses are one of the higher quality items in vehicles these days. Several OE clamps fell apart during the work though - metal fatigue, I guess, replaced with worm type clamps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts