The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! Please be gentle with me as this is the first time I have ever joined a group like this or posted a message. So if I have not followed the correct protocols my apologies! We bought a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SE (Canada) 9 weeks ago and I am extremely frustrated due to problems with the side sliding doors not opening and the power windows not working. There are also other issues but these two are definitely a major problem. My previous vehicle was the same vehicle but a 2005 model which we also bought new from the same dealer. We had absolutely no issues at all with that vehicle. I am so disappointed with this new model. However it is beyond disappointment when I can't open my side doors or go to a drive-through and find my window won't go down! I took it into the dealership and they said there were no problems and it was likely due to the cold. That excuse is unacceptable as Canada has a cold winter climate and we can't be expected to not use doors and windows in a vehicle for a quarter of the year! Also, the first few times this happened temperatures were not even below freezing and this vehicle, I assume, should be built for the environment it is marketed and sold in! Canada does indeed get cold during the winter. However this was not an issue with the previous vehicle we had. It would happen two or three times a year when temperatures would be extremely low, and was completely understandable in those conditions. But the first time this happened with our new vehicle it was not sub zero temperatures and I had been driving the vehicle for about 30 minutes so the vehicle was not cold. It did resolve after about another 15 minutes of driving, but when I parked the vehicle and went into a grocery store for about 20 minutes and came out, the doors would not open again! When this happen though, I guess the door opens barely enough for it to cause the interior vehicle lights to come on, but will not close in order for them to go off, so I have to drive around then with the interior lights on. If anyone has had any similar problems I would be interested to know if they were resolved, or if anyone has any ideas on what kind of recourse I have or just anything to help I would be really grateful! I have a van because I have kids, so it is really frustrating when they have to come in the front doors and climb over the gap between the front seats in order to access the vehicle because the side doors won't open! Many thanks.

·
fix it if you can
5,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

you should check your lemon laws first.. if the dealer will not address the issue. (you may only have limited time in which to voice your complaint)

it will often help to have every problem (& instance of it) documented with date & name of the service person who "handled" the complaint.. Then start working your way up to service manager, dealership owner, etc...

that said,
if this happens every time the van is "cold" you should probably ask/tell the service dept. to keep the vehicle overnight (or however long it takes them) to figure out what the cause is..

also it would help to know exactly what you mean the doors "won't open"
(is the door sticking to the weatherstripping..? can you open them by pulling on the handle, will power slider button work/make any noise, will the door locks operate etc..)

·
I DON'T live in an Igloo!
947 Posts
Unfortunately, in Canada we do not have Lemon Laws.

Maybe try another dealer for a second opinion?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Can't help with your problem, however, in your postings it would be very helpful if you could place your literal in paragraph format. It would make it so much easier for anyone to follow.

Welcome to the forum.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
How far are you from another dealer? These issues should not be a problem. I can see a power door not wanting to work in the extreme cold (like my 03 does), but the manual doors should open all the time. One question, did this happen after you've washed the vehicle or had it washed? If so, the water is freezing causing the door to stick to the seal and is freezing on the power window track.

Welcome to the forum!

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,502 Posts
Windows and door motors don't have that much in common. A ground is suspect, make sure the y are well attached to the frame, no rust or corrosion on them. Or a fuse or two. Too new to be corrosion issues. Does it do it both sides or just one? Do you hear the try to work, or not at all. Many door issues are sensor related, but not the windows.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If it's the rear doors, there's a chance they leak and the water gets inside and freezes, possibly preventing the door from opening. I found out my '08 rear doors leak when the drain hole got plugged on the drivers side and the door literally filled with water. The 5 Star Dealer's solution? Remove the blockage from the drain hole, and do nothing about the leak.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The 5 Star Dealer's solution? Remove the blockage from the drain hole, and do nothing about the leak.
Perhaps that's all that was wrong. Wouldn't it make sense to assume that if doors have drain holes, that they aren't engineered/expected to be watertight and the drain holes are the mechanism for avoiding water buildup inside of them?

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
For a few years, until the door bottoms rust out like all the 3rd gen vans.
I kept the drain holes in my 3rd generation van cleaned out and had no issue with rust in the nearly 200K miles I put on it. From what I've seen salt is a bigger issue than rain water ever will be.

·
Registered
727 Posts
As long as water isn't allowed to collect in there (due to drain holes), I don't see where rust would necessarily be an issue. I would suspect there is corrosion protection/paint on the interior surface and it could be as good of a rust inhibitor as the paint on the outside and our cars do get wet.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Hm. My 14 year old 3rd gen hasn't ever seen a garage, or that type of damage yet.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I see them every day of the week here in Connecticut. More 3rd gen vans have rusted rear door bottoms than do not. Prediction - the 5th gen will be 'bout the same. Hey, we can hope the shock towers don't rust away too.

Hm. My 14 year old 3rd gen hasn't ever seen a garage, or that type of damage yet.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It must be the salt contributing to the rust. Out here in California you see very few cars of any make with rust problems. I saw many more rustY cars when I lived in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There are no lemon laws in Canada - however, there is CAMVAP, which is just as good IMO.

http://www.camvap.ca/

I have used it before with a 2004 Dodge Neon/SX.2.0 and was very satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I have a 2009 T&C. We had trouble with the sliding doors as well getting stuck in the open position and wouldn't close. There was a TSB (technical service bulletin) on the doors. They had to "recalibrate" the sensors on the doors and I have not had any trouble since. (no charge on warranty)
Good Luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sliding Door not working in winter 09 Caravan

We have a similar problem with our vanpool '09 Caravan which is parked outside in the Michigan winter.

It has manual doors, and the driver's side sliding door does not open when cold. We have taken it to the dealer who has tried silicone spray on the weatherstripping with little impact.

On another cold weather note, the trim piece on the rear hatch handle trim piece broke when we opened the hatch in very cold weather (~5 deg F). It's on the list to repaired when we take this fleet vehicle in for service.

Dan

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
NOT always the case

My 1999 GC SE is used in the rust belt for 10 winters and the door bottoms have not rusted out. :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Power WIndow/Door Works Intermittently

Hello, I have recently purchased a Dodge Grand Caravan 2008 used. It has 189,000 plus miles on it, but looks and runs great, but the power windows and/on the sliding doors work intermittently. What is unusual is they both (sides) may not work at the same time, but the driver side has worked while the passenger will not and vise versa the passenger side may work while the driver side will not. To add; the windows not working happens simultaneously when the door is not working. As I am writing this, the weather is changing and I am unable to resolve this issue. I have scheduled service for the van with a Chrysler/Dodge dealership; but it is 2 weeks away. I am hoping you got to the bottom of your problem with this issue on your 2010 Grand Caravan power doors and windows not working and can share what was done to rectify the problems. Hope to hear back from you or anybody that add to this. . . Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts