The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Thank you SO much for this post. I was able to replace the timing belt on my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan with help from this post.

When I was done, I noticed the idle was a little rough (it was very smooth before). I took it all apart and it looked like the timing belt was off by a tooth so I re-positioned it. All three marks were TDC. However, the idle is still a little rough!

The crankshaft pulley kinda looks like it's wobbling, but I don't know how it looked before. I did hit it with a rubber mallet to get it on the snout because I couldn't find a installer tool or bolt long enough to reach the threads. Here's a video of the wobble:

The EGR and spark plugs are all relatively new. I replaced the air filter, PCV valve, and cleaned the throttle body. I've looked for vacuum leaks with brake cleaner fluid, but didn't find any.

Any ideas? I don't know what to check next.
Did you torque everything to spec? I'm wondering if there was a bit of dirt or grease on the spline of the crankshaft or in the pulley that needed to be cleaned off. I would have sprayed everything with brake cleaner before reassembly.

·
Vanless member
2,087 Posts
...When I was done, I noticed the idle was a little rough (it was very smooth before)...I took it all apart and it looked like the timing belt was off by a tooth so I re-positioned it. All three marks were TDC. However, the idle is still a little rough!
Did you replace or at least inspect and properly re-load the belt tensioner?

Any slack on the tensioner side of the belt can allow the rear camshaft to be deflected forward slightly as the rockers pass over the cam lobes and valve springs release tension. This would affect valve timing slightly and be mostly noticeable at idle.

Also, this same tension can make exact alignment of marks tricky if one rocker is trying to deflect off a cam lobe while marks are being aligned. Sometimes a wrench on the camshaft bolt is needed to keep it from deflecting out of position while mounting the belt.

After mounting belt and loading tensioner, it's a good practice to turn the engine by hand (clockwise) two revolutions and re-check alignment marks.

(as for the so-called "wobble" at the harmonic balancer, it's pretty minimal, it's not causing your rough idle)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thank you SO much for this post. I was able to replace the timing belt on my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan with help from this post.

When I was done, I noticed the idle was a little rough (it was very smooth before). I took it all apart and it looked like the timing belt was off by a tooth so I re-positioned it. All three marks were TDC. However, the idle is still a little rough!

The crankshaft pulley kinda looks like it's wobbling, but I don't know how it looked before. I did hit it with a rubber mallet to get it on the snout because I couldn't find a installer tool or bolt long enough to reach the threads. Here's a video of the wobble:

The EGR and spark plugs are all relatively new. I replaced the air filter, PCV valve, and cleaned the throttle body. I've looked for vacuum leaks with brake cleaner fluid, but didn't find any.

Any ideas? I don't know what to check next.
Have you not replaced your intake plenum gasket for a new one, after removing the plenum to access spark plugs? Mine had already been leaking profusely when replaced at only 40,000 miles. I upgraded it with Fel-Pro # MS96324.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2009,grand+caravan,4.0l+v6,1443292,engine,in take+plenum+gasket,10394

I also had to add hose clamps to loose fitting vacuum and PCV hoses, particularly at the IAP sensor hose fitting on top on plenum beside throttle body.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rule of thumb with all mechanics.. Replace the timing belt and water pump at the same time for the life expectancy is nearly the same

·
Registered
4 Posts
JC1 - Thanks for the feedback and sorry I didn't reply sooner.

I torqued everything to spec where I could fit the torque wrench :) Seriously, I don't know how i'm supposed to reach some of those bolts with a huge torque wrench.

I didn't clean the spline/snout of the crankshaft, so maybe that's the problem. I'll try that when I have some time this weekend, because it's still having the slightly rough idle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you replace or at least inspect and properly re-load the belt tensioner?

Any slack on the tensioner side of the belt can allow the rear camshaft to be deflected forward slightly as the rockers pass over the cam lobes and valve springs release tension. This would affect valve timing slightly and be mostly noticeable at idle.

Also, this same tension can make exact alignment of marks tricky if one rocker is trying to deflect off a cam lobe while marks are being aligned. Sometimes a wrench on the camshaft bolt is needed to keep it from deflecting out of position while mounting the belt.

After mounting belt and loading tensioner, it's a good practice to turn the engine by hand (clockwise) two revolutions and re-check alignment marks.
I replaced the tensioner when I put on the new timing belt, but I'll inspect it again this weekend. I did turn the engine after installing two revolutions, and the alignment marks were perfect.

(as for the so-called "wobble" at the harmonic balancer, it's pretty minimal, it's not causing your rough idle)
Phew! That's good to hear. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you not replaced your intake plenum gasket for a new one, after removing the plenum to access spark plugs? Mine had already been leaking profusely when replaced at only 40,000 miles. I upgraded it with Fel-Pro # MS96324.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2009,grand+caravan,4.0l+v6,1443292,engine,in take+plenum+gasket,10394
I didn't replace the intake plenum gasket, but that's a good suggestion. I'll replace it this weekend

I also had to add hose clamps to loose fitting vacuum and PCV hoses, particularly at the IAP sensor hose fitting on top on plenum beside throttle body.
I wouldn't be surprised if taking everything apart caused some of the hoses to fit a little loosely. Another good suggestion. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Dayco kits are available in two options: one with the arm on the tensioner pulley and with out the arm.

Does anyone know which version I would need for a 2009 caravan? I emailed Dayco my vin, but did not get a response.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks again to the OP for this write-up! Really helped me save a LOT of time on this job!

Also - if you're reading this and considering doing this job yourself, get yourself a power ratchet for those tight spaces! Either a small air ratchet, or my favorite - the Milwaukee M12 12V Ratchet. You can do it without one, but it will take a LOT longer!

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
About this Discussion
70 Replies
32 Participants
smittyroc
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing