The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Two words: Diesel Hybrid! Small displacement forced air diesel, electric assist drivetrain. Expensive? Perhaps. Efficient? Certainly. Train engines been using for years. Compact & install in auto/truck/van & let's see what develops!

BTW, around here diesel ~10% higher, so if it can be worked out to see an 11% or higher mileage advantage seems to be a benefit to me. IIRC Jetta diesel is about 20% more fuel efficient than gas so it makes sense to me...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Like Fox said, if it is a reasonable option cost wise, the sure.
But having to pay an extra $3000-4000 for a diesel, plus the fact that for the past 18 months diesel has been $0.30-0.50 more per gallon than gas, and the cost savings of better MPG is not there as much.
Also, the MPG of the diesels I have seen (Comparing some of the overseas versions to the gas that is available here, and even the few diesels avilable here) have fallen short of these "great 40-50mpg" vehicles, unless your looking in the compact or sub compact world.
I dont know why some of these new diesels do so poorly on fuel, my first car (which I still have) was a 1984 Olds Cutlass diesel.
It was always a reliable car :biggrin: and always pulled at least 30 mpg :ThumbsUp: . Unfortunately the air compressor went out and diesel prices skyrocketed, so I seldom drive it anymore :cry:

·
*yawn*
2,992 Posts
Two words: Diesel Hybrid! Small displacement forced air diesel, electric assist drivetrain. Expensive? Perhaps. Efficient? Certainly. Train engines been using for years. Compact & install in auto/truck/van & let's see what develops!
Perhaps we'll see something... But there's too much redundancy - both turbo diesels & elec motors excel at low rpm torque (zero rpm for motors). Why double them up, adding even more complexity and cost?

-Jim

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Part of the reason diesels are a little down on mileage is the removal of sulfer from the fuel. Fewer BTU content = fewer MPG.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think more of the lower fuel millage is due toe emissions crap they install now my 02 Ram Cummins could very easily get 20-24 mpg on the highway thats with big injectors a chip running high horsepower however my 05 that has the emissions and just running a mild chip has a lot harder time getting to 20... The newest I bet if you took a 6.7l and ripped the emissions crap off that truck would get comperable millage to my 01's 5.9 and sadly I think this applies to most of the diesel vehicles on the road today. I still find it funny how the sub compacts are so excited they get mid 30's fuel economy when you can get an 1980's Geo Metro that can get in the 50's with no technology...

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I still find it funny how the sub compacts are so excited they get mid 30's fuel economy when you can get an 1980's Geo Metro that can get in the 50's with no technology...
You mean like how the POS Smart Four-two has the same weight and power as the 50 mpg Geo (though carries 2 less people) but gets 10 mpg less?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
yup and like the prius that has more hazardas materials and earth contaminants in it that gets around the same millage but dam the hybrids are saving the plante... OH PLEASE. The diesel hybrid would actually be of great efficiency you could ger away with a very small diesel as a power plant use a super cap for heavy acceleration and not have any batteries for other than the lights and such its the one thing I have hoped to see and there is nobody even attempting it right now. Pretty sad the tree hugging EPA has put us where we are got to give them credit though they sure did build a market for themselves.

·
Registered
367 Posts
yup and like the prius that has more hazardas materials and earth contaminants in it that gets around the same millage but dam the hybrids are saving the plante... OH PLEASE. The diesel hybrid would actually be of great efficiency you could ger away with a very small diesel as a power plant use a super cap for heavy acceleration and not have any batteries for other than the lights and such its the one thing I have hoped to see and there is nobody even attempting it right now. Pretty sad the tree hugging EPA has put us where we are got to give them credit though they sure did build a market for themselves.
Our neighbor traded a '04 Hemi truck for a Prius. The dealer gave half the bluebook for the truck, because of high gas prices :Wow1:
They still gave $30,000 for the Prius. I dont understand how they saved money by trading a nice truck that was paid for and financed $30,000:confused:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
there has been a ton of that here in washington as well in california dealers will not even accept trucks or suv's as trade anymore. The sad part is people do not think before they hop on the EPA's save the world BS campaign. My grandfather was ready to run out and buy a honda civic to replace his ram 1500 I did the numbers for him and it would take him the next 15 years to break even based on $5 a gallon and the millage he drives but his response was but yeah I will get 15mpg better BIG FRIKKIN DEAL like you said the other is paid for but there are a lot I repeat A LOT of really stupid people in the world today that fall for this crap day in and day out because the guy on the news said so it must be true. I bought my 08 T&C knowing full well I could have bought something more fuel efficient but then I think ok sub compact that gets 35 mpg that fits nothing in it or a full size van that holds 7 and anything I want for 10mpg less hmmm functionality or save the plannet in say 200 years ok functionality wins...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quit driving. Ride a bus. Ride a bike. Walk. Live closer to work. Buy a plug-in hybrid. Carpool. Buy a Yaris or an Aveo. Buy a diesel Jetta and run 100% veggie oil in it.

Lots of choice. :)

There really are not that many fuel effecient options if you need something for a family of 6. Companies are starting to come out with bigger Hybrids but the cost is quite high.

·
Registered
367 Posts
They were advertising Cobalts with air for under $10,000, they get a little over 30. If a Prius is supposed to do over 40 and costs $30,000 I dont see the savings.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Kim that is because there is no savings they just want you to buy into the concept that somehow you are saving the planet by buying one... Plus if you keep it for the long term you have battery replacments to worry about not to mention all of the electronics involved that is one vehicle that a bumper to bumper lifetime warnaty would definatly be a MUST. My friend owns one and he thinks its the greatest thing he averages around 40 mixed driving I just roll my eyes

·
Registered
367 Posts
Kim that is because there is no savings they just want you to buy into the concept that somehow you are saving the planet by buying one... Plus if you keep it for the long term you have battery replacments to worry about not to mention all of the electronics involved that is one vehicle that a bumper to bumper lifetime warnaty would definatly be a MUST. My friend owns one and he thinks its the greatest thing he averages around 40 mixed driving I just roll my eyes
Don't you love the illusion ? :jpshakehe
I wonder what would happen in a bad accident with the battery acid.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
well if you believe what the hybrid pushers are selllin ya there is absolutly no harm to be had, if you talk to the fire departments who respond to the accidents and who have died from being electricuted from a shorted battery pack then your eyes will be much wider open to reality. But hey they say its not so in that case it must be true...

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
21 - 37 of 37 Posts