The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Routan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! We recently purchased a cheap 2010 Routan SE with a 3.8l and 110k miles to be our new family wagon. With Honda's and Toyota's well out of our price range, we looked at Dodge/Chrysler and Kia but when I found that there was a "VW" option, that became the only choice considering I own two buses; a 59 and a 67.

The good news is the van, for the most part, is in pretty good shape but it does have a handful of issues that need addressed. Most importantly, it leaks transmission oil from the side cover. I was hoping it was just from the leaking coolant lines but I recently replaced those and it's still leaking and leaves large stains on my driveway. There is some talk but I can't seem to find any detailed info on how to do this job on the 62TE. There also seems to be an argument about whether to stick with just RTV or use a gasket.

The power steering pump makes noise but it looks like I should try cleaning out the reservoir first due to a possible clogged screen.

Lastly, though the RER radio works and it plays DVD's, the touch screen is virtually dead. If I rub my hand across it really fast, it will randomly select something but I can't just select an option. Removing the fuse for a while didn't make any change. I found a place on line that sells refurbished screens but I'm not sure if that's the answer.

Looking forward to your replies.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
29,083 Posts
Overfull maybe? What is your fluid level? It can be measured "cold turkey".
Bolts checked for tightness?
Likely RTV is the material used in that application. A gasket is available on ebay apparently per:

Make certain you are absolutely sure of the source of the leak. Some members have great faith in RTV. :)

·
Registered
2010 Routan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overfull maybe? What is your fluid level? It can be measured "cold turkey".
Bolts checked for tightness?
Likely RTV is the material used in that application. A gasket is available on ebay apparently per . for Chrysler 62TE Transmission End Cover Gasket like for a Pacifica | eBay

Make certain you are absolutely sure of the source of the leak. Some members have great faith in RTV. :)
Fluid was two quarts low when i first brought it home using the oil dipstick method. I've wiped down the transmission several times and it is always wet at the bottom of the plate and doesn't seem to be coming from any other location. I'm not sure the torque specs but the bolts seem really tight.

If i reseal it, how much fluid can i expect to lose during the process and what is the torque spec? Grey RTV seems recommended.

·
Super Moderator
29,083 Posts
Which oil dipstick method did you use? What was your reading? Some of the hacks are using 200F which isn't right.

IMO, there's only one way to know, with certainty, if your transmission has the proper level of fluid. Even the Mechanics at the Dealership can get this right and not overfill.

·
Registered
2010 Routan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where i bought the van, there was a stain on the ground already then i drove it 100 miles home. On my driveway, the van leaves large spots everywhere i park it. Following a YT video, i marked my oil dipstick for cold and warm levels. First, i started the van cold then quickly checked the level and there was nothing on the dipstick. I then drove the van for a bit to get to operating temperature and there was still no reading on the dipstick so i added fluid little by little until it read in-between the warm levels, which took two quarts.

Regardless of level, the van drips a lot of fluid.

·
Super Moderator
29,083 Posts
Getting no reading when starting up is common, the dipstick doesn't go down to the bottom of the pan, there's a stop in place there. Run 6 to 10 minutes to get a reading (about 80F). You are likely overfilled. Use the "cold turkey" method to find out.
What makes you think the engine isn't leaking? Can you put a pan under there to get a sample.

With a "used" transmission, it's hard to say what fluid (ATF+4?) is in it. That would be a concern for me.

·
Registered
2010 Routan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What makes you think the engine isn't leaking? Can you put a pan under there to get a sample.

With a "used" transmission, it's hard to say what fluid (ATF+4?) is in it. That would be a concern for me.
I'll try the cold turkey method and it's 100% trans fluid leaking on the far driver's side and it only gets wet at the very bottom of the cover plate. The other day, i left cardboard under it and the fluid was red and smelled like ATF. The previous owner had the work done by his mechanic but who knows what he put in there. Might be best to just flush it all, replace the filter and reseal the cover plate that way there is no guessing.

·
Super Moderator
29,083 Posts
OK, sounds like a plan.

RTV is fine but people don't read the instructions to use it properly, that's the problem. RTV products aren't all the same as to application, cure times, etc. Making sure there's RTV around the bolt holes is another thing to watch. Gaskets were/are so much simpler, especially for redos in the future. Bolt hole cover is built right in. :)

Getting transmission service on a used vehicle is pretty much a given unless there are good service records.

·
Registered
2010 Routan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A new issue has popped up. Yesterday morning, the CEL came on while on the freeway but i didn't notice anything different at first until i accelerated to pass a car. Kind of felt like a misfire and there was a little shaking. After a while, it seemed to stop but the light stayed on. After work, the light remained on while running errands so i planned to take it to FLAPS but then the light went out.

This morning, the light remained off but i noticed a vibration at low speed while pulling into work. Because of this, i ordered new spark plugs along with a trans filter. Hoping this resolves the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts