The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Town and Country, 4.0L SFI SOHC 6cyl, ~100,000 miles. Periodically, the right front brake will seem to drag while at highway speeds. It does overheat (to the point of smoking), and requires you to stop the vehicle and let it cool down. It will return to normal and not repeat the issue right away (it could be days before it happens again).

The calipers/pads/rotors were replaced 3-4 years ago. The Caliper has been removed and piston travel has been checked. The piston compresses without any resistance and extends normally. The pads are wearing evenly with no signs of abnormal wear. Rotors show no grooving or otherwise abnormal wear patterns. The pad slides have been checked/cleaned/greased and are free of rust.

It is truly an intermittent problem. (Gotta love Chrysler brakes). Any suggestions as to what I can look at next or am I faced with starting the dreaded ‘replacement guessing game’?

·
Super Moderator
25,059 Posts
I have a 2010 Town and Country, 4.0L SFI SOHC 6cyl, ~100,000 miles. Periodically, the right front brake will seem to drag while at highway speeds. It does overheat (to the point of smoking), and requires you to stop the vehicle and let it cool down. It will return to normal and not repeat the issue right away (it could be days before it happens again).

The calipers/pads/rotors were replaced 3-4 years ago. The Caliper has been removed and piston travel has been checked. The piston compresses without any resistance and extends normally. The pads are wearing evenly with no signs of abnormal wear. Rotors show no grooving or otherwise abnormal wear patterns. The pad slides have been checked/cleaned/greased and are free of rust.

It is truly an intermittent problem. (Gotta love Chrysler brakes). Any suggestions as to what I can look at next or am I faced with starting the dreaded ‘replacement guessing game’?
Calipers can stick intermittently like you describe. Pressing the brakes hard may get the problem to repeat itself. Remanufactured calipers can have a short life as well. Another possibility is a hose problem, but not so much these days. Unfortunately Mechanics tend to allow the caliper, including the caliper bracket, to hang from the hose when doing brake work. That's scary but doesn't seem to cause a problem. I have replaced many hoses only to find the caliper was the problem, in one case, a caliper fresh out of the box.

Reactions: RollingRoutan

·
Registered
113 Posts
In my 2009 around 101k miles, the problem was intermittent at first. Got hot enough to cause smoking and so on, after a short time it ceased and things were good, though it finally gave up and the piston was seized when I went in there to replace pads and such. Seems worthwhile to consider replacement just for the peace of mind, especially if your fluid is darkish like mine is at that mileage.

·
Registered
294 Posts

It could be a collapsed hydraulic hose going to the caliper. This you can't see this because its inside the hose. Danny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts