The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

To start, all praise be to the 6 speed tranny, pulls my boat like a champ now, love it!

Ok, throwing my problem out to the masses. My van always pulls to the left to the point of after 100 miles I have blood profusely pouring out of my eyesockets I'm so irritated fighting it. It doesn't pull hard but it's always there. Any distraction from the road and I'm half into the next lane, getting old to the point of a for sale sign. Not to mention, I feel the urge to go to an oval track and drive fast so I don't have to fight it all the time... 2 alignments, 2 different shops, and I'm told it's straight but still pulls to the left. Here's the kicker. On hard acceleration, it switches to pulling to the right and the transition from pulling left to pulling rather vigorously to the right makes for some excitement.
Obviously something isn't right, didn't leave the factory like that, any experiences out there like this?

One more question. Does anyone have experience of having the 4 liter model and then getting a newer 3.6? Which pulls better? I really like the 4 liter, it's a pulling fool for towing.

Anything will help.

· 3rd gen > all others
4,698 Posts
Sounds like the alignment guy didn't know what he was doing. My 2004 does the same thing, but I lifted it and the steering and control arm angles are too different from stock for it to be aligned. On the gas, my front end lifts and it vibrates and pulls one direction; let off to cruise and the front settles down and it drifts the other way. It's the toe setting changing, as it can't match the width of the front changing as the suspension cycles (kinda like bump steer). Either you have worn front steering parts that need to be changed first, or something else is loose or bent and needs to be found and fixed before it's aligned again.

I've also heard the 4.0L is actually faster from a dead stop than the 3.6L, but the 3.6L pentastar has higher peak torque/HP numbers. No replacement for displacement? :)

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,575 Posts
Alignment and the condition of front suspension are the things you need to look at.

· Registered
642 Posts
Did you rotate your tires to see if the pull changed? All the same tires? All the same pressures?
Show us the printout of your last alignment ...

Reactions: edsel352 and KOG

· Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
663 Posts
.....it switches to pulling to the right and the transition from pulling left to pulling rather vigorously to the right makes for some excitement.
Obviously something isn't right, didn't leave the factory like that, any experiences out there like this?
TORQUE STEER - your front wheel drive car is too powerful (too much torque) for a FWD application. :ROFLMAO:

Are you sure it is pulling to the left, or is your steering wheel not clocked correctly? Are you basing this on the appearance of the steering wheel?
If the alignment shops have said it is properly aligned, and toe checked then, ignore the steering wheel angle.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,575 Posts
Torque steer only pulls on start off and punching it. It's managed pretty well on these unless mounts are bad, and then it usually pulls to the right.

After reading the section Cciman quoted again, that definitely seems like a worn suspension part like ball joints or control arm bushings.

· Registered
642 Posts
Torque steer only pulls on start off and punching it. It's managed pretty well on these unless mounts are bad, and then it usually pulls to the right.
After reading the section Cciman quoted again, that definitely seems like a worn suspension part like ball joints or control arm bushings.
How could they do an alignment with defective components that bad ? Isn't "wheel angle" an important part of a good alignment ?

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,575 Posts
Some places don't check like they should and only adjust it to be in spec. As soon as you roll out the shop, your alignment is bad if you have busted parts.

· Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,

To start, all praise be to the 6 speed tranny, pulls my boat like a champ now, love it!

Ok, throwing my problem out to the masses. My van always pulls to the left to the point of after 100 miles I have blood profusely pouring out of my eyesockets I'm so irritated fighting it. It doesn't pull hard but it's always there. Any distraction from the road and I'm half into the next lane, getting old to the point of a for sale sign. Not to mention, I feel the urge to go to an oval track and drive fast so I don't have to fight it all the time... 2 alignments, 2 different shops, and I'm told it's straight but still pulls to the left. Here's the kicker. On hard acceleration, it switches to pulling to the right and the transition from pulling left to pulling rather vigorously to the right makes for some excitement.

One more question. Does anyone have experience of having the 4 liter model and then getting a newer 3.6? Which pulls better? I really like the 4 liter, it's a pulling fool for towing.

Anything will help.
Same problem, in fact the exact same problem, pulled hard to the left. What ended up being the problem. Belt separated on one of the front tires. 2 new front tires and the van goes perfectly straight. Look at the diameter of your front tires and if one of them as a failure, like a separated belt etc.

· Registered
12 Posts
looking at all the posts, most topics are covered. Tires have a lateral force which when big enough can pull as you describe. Usually you can rotate tires and try different ones on the front, we assume there is 2 out of the 4 that don't pull. I think that discoiunt tire can measure your front tires for "tire conicity force" can be either tire, but if that is the problem by swapping the left and right fronts, it should pull the other way as rotation was reversed..

No one suggested a dragging brake or bad wheel bearing. Both can be checked with car off left front wheel as extra dragfrom either could cause pull to left.

There is such a thing as torque steer, which is van will pull to one side under hard acceleration, there is no effect when driving at road speeds or any part throttle condition. However Chrysler should have compensated for this with design components if that engine produces higher torque than the suspension and axle shafts can tolerate. It would have been like this since new if torque steer.

Worn or damaged components is the only other things to check. The faliled engine mount can be tested by someone applying brakes while in drive and rev engine to 1800 rpm \. Have hood open and someone standing along side vehicle to see how much the powertrain moves, if more than about 1 inch sound like a problem, try same in reverse gear also. Don't run over the observer, keep those brakes locked up

Alignment guy should check all suspension components for wear or broken. check tie rod, ball joint,
control arm bushings, and upper strut mount. Ask about the condition of each and a report for everything inspected as well as before and after alignment measurements. Have the alignment set to the highest amount of CASTER allowed, even go 1 degree above upper limit if in adjustment range . High caster will help to keep vehicle going straight ahead.

There is a cause for your condition, just need to find it. I didn't see any of your answers on tires, if mechanically everything checks out, I'd suggest 2 new front tires.

· Registered
104 Posts
Hi All, To start, all praise be to the 6 speed tranny, pulls my boat like a champ now, love it! Ok, throwing my problem out to the masses. My van always pulls to the left to the point of after 100 miles I have blood profusely pouring out of my eyesockets I'm so irritated fighting it. It doesn't pull hard but it's always there. Any distraction from the road and I'm half into the next lane, getting old to the point of a for sale sign. Not to mention, I feel the urge to go to an oval track and drive fast so I don't have to fight it all the time... 2 alignments, 2 different shops, and I'm told it's straight but still pulls to the left. Here's the kicker. On hard acceleration, it switches to pulling to the right and the transition from pulling left to pulling rather vigorously to the right makes for some excitement. Obviously something isn't right, didn't leave the factory like that, any experiences out there like this? One more question. Does anyone have experience of having the 4 liter model and then getting a newer 3.6? Which pulls better? I really like the 4 liter, it's a pulling fool for towing. Anything will help.
Well my friend, I feel for you, I know what that is like. Before I move on, your question about a 4 litr isn't a bad idea for nowadays gas situation. But, it isn't a good idea in the long run (my opinion). So, about the "pulling to the left"; I purchased a 2015 back in august 2022, with 64k a beauty. Ran great at that time. The tires weren't real bad, but since the winter snow in NY was coming soon, I decided to take it to Mavis and replace all 4 tires with Goodyear All season and (a wheel alignment bcuz of new tires). (Mind you, with original tires, I drove 5hrs to Syracuse, did 65-70-80 and she was straight with no issues). After two days with these new tires, I noticed a pull to the left, I wasn't happy so I went back next day, explained and asked for New balancing of all 4 tires And check alignment. They did so. I took her on highway and still there was a slight pull to the left. I took her back and explained, this time the tech said, it could have been the alignment machine bcuz it had been off and that day they did a calibration to correct it. So they adjust some alignment, were the tech said yes, it was off a bit. I went back on the road and this time it was a whole lot better, but I kinda felt there was perhaps a 1/4" off, but she handled better. MY conclusion is, tires or course need balancing bcuz the rubber construction is always not even. So I feel the issue is in the tires, bcuz I didn't have ANY issues before I repalced the tires. Thats MY proof. Have your 4 wheels balanced, making sure you rims are not dented at some point (inner/outer). Good luck.

· Registered
104 Posts
Well my friend, I feel for you, I know what that is like. Before I move on, your question about a 4 litr isn't a bad idea for nowadays gas situation. But, it isn't a good idea in the long run (my opinion). So, about the "pulling to the left"; I purchased a 2015 back in august 2022, with 64k a beauty. Ran great at that time. The tires weren't real bad, but since the winter snow in NY was coming soon, I decided to take it to Mavis and replace all 4 tires with Goodyear All season and (a wheel alignment bcuz of new tires). (Mind you, with original tires, I drove 5hrs to Syracuse, did 65-70-80 and she was straight with no issues). After two days with these new tires, I noticed a pull to the left, I wasn't happy so I went back next day, explained and asked for New balancing of all 4 tires And check alignment. They did so. I took her on highway and still there was a slight pull to the left. I took her back and explained, this time the tech said, it could have been the alignment machine bcuz it had been off and that day they did a calibration to correct it. So they adjust some alignment, were the tech said yes, it was off a bit. I went back on the road and this time it was a whole lot better, but I kinda felt there was perhaps a 1/4" off, but she handled better. MY conclusion is, tires or course need balancing bcuz the rubber construction is always not even. So I feel the issue is in the tires, bcuz I didn't have ANY issues before I repalced the tires. Thats MY proof. Have your 4 wheels balanced, making sure you rims are not dented at some point (inner/outer). Good luck.
Sorry, forgot to add, that the new tires were also causing a vibrating at the higher than 55 speeds. For the most part, I think the tires have, slowly fallen into place, I got used to it or I just don't notice it anymore.

· Registered
12 Posts
Mopar John I would conclude that your pulling issue was mis alignment and tires. Tire balancing will not effect pulling, only the vibration, too bad you didn't get a good set. They should have replaced the 2 front tires when you complained, have you rotated the backs to the front to see if those 2 are better for pulling.

· Registered
104 Posts
Mopar John I would conclude that your pulling issue was mis alignment and tires. Tire balancing will not effect pulling, only the vibration, too bad you didn't get a good set. They should have replaced the 2 front tires when you complained, have you rotated the backs to the front to see if those 2 are better for pulling.
You know, you have a point, I should have insisted that all 4 tires be replaced, didn't think of the $800 something I paid, I had every right. But then again, I'm 61,ain't thinking on all thrusters..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts