The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van was running hot, gauge reading above the 3/4 mark, so I changed thermostat. Gauge readings dropped to below the half mark but when driving temp drops down to the C.
Changed temp sensor, same issue.
Next I'm replacing thermostat again, in case new is faulty (returning the removed).
What else am I not thinking of?

·
Super Moderator
22,624 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Did you, by chance, use a "fail safe" thermostat?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but as noted in original post, I swapped it for a Duralast today. Will be driving shortly and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: less costly Duralast thermostat installed, temp gauge at just under half and plenty of heat now. Returning failsafe thermostat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is a good idea to test your thermostat before installing. I put a saucepan of water on the stove and crank it up. You should see the thermostat open just before the water boils. Much easier than putting it in first and then taking it all apart because you got a bad one...

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,248 Posts
It is a good idea to test your thermostat before installing. I put a saucepan of water on the stove and crank it up. You should see the thermostat open just before the water boils. Much easier than putting it in first and then taking it all apart because you got a bad one...
Only thermostat that fails like that would be a "Fail Safe" thermostat. Doubt he will ever buy a Fail Safe thermostat again.

Waste of time testing a new thermostat.

You can test you old thermostat if you want to reuse it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts