The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2010 T&C with 22400 miles. Today I went to start it and it seemed to idle rough and then died. I tried to restart and it wouldn't turn over. I knew I needed gas so I just thought maybe it was lower than I had thought and I was out of gas. I went and filled a little tank and brought it back to the car. Put the 2 gallons in and it STILL would not turn over. All the lights, tv's, radio can power up so it's not the battery.
I even noticed that when I tried to turn it on the ignition keeps clicking and clicking... even though I am not holding the key.
The message center says "System OK"... I'm not sure WHAT is going on???
The car is just a year old! Anyone else experience this???

I'm having it towed to the dealer. Hope it all covered under warranty!!!

Jen

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I am not sure what is going on, but I wish you luck and hope the dealer is successful diagnosing the issue.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
Sounds like your battery is dead. Not dead enough to where the lights do not work, but dead enough to not start the vehicle. Did you try to boost the vehicle off?

FWIW, with the tip start feature, the van would keep trying to start... dead battery or not...

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
sounds like dead battery to me, it would run poorly if there was not enough juice to run the ignition system... Do the easiest thing and jump it before anything else and leave it hooked up if you get it started for a few minutes so the van has power coming in to keep everything happy... Could be a defective battery like said above just because the lights work means nothing when you go to start it...

·
5000 Club
5,733 Posts
tip start feature
New to me. What is that all about?

Others - Maybe I'm reading some of you wrong but just so there's no confusion; if you turn the key and all you get is a click or nothing at all and no crank or rotation, then all the gas in the world isn't going to help you start the van. The problem lies in the electronics of the start system and not the fuel supply system.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Tip start showed up in the 5th gens. You toggle the key forward just like you normally would to start the vehicle, but then you can release it before the engine is running. The electronics will take over and crank the engine until it starts.

Reactions: RIP and jgbat

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Tip start showed up in the 5th gens. You toggle the key forward just like you normally would to start the vehicle, but then you can release it before the engine is running. The electronics will take over and crank the engine until it starts.
It definitely could be seen as an improvement

you just turn the key to the start position for a moment, and the car does the "cranking" for you.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
Exactly. However on some Chrysler vehicles tip start showed up in 05. But this is not a new feature or a Chrysler specific feature. My Grandfather's 2000 Cadillac Deville has it.

Reactions: dun4now

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just this afternoon I went to start and all was well until I toggled to the start and....click and nothing... but only a single click. tried several times same result got out and grabbed my phone and tried one more time and it started.....weird. 46000 kms and this was the first time for that one.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just this afternoon I went to start and all was well until I toggled to the start and....click and nothing... but only a single click. tried several times same result got out and grabbed my phone and tried one more time and it started.....weird. 46000 kms and this was the first time for that one.
Old thread.

This problem has surfaced on my wife's '10, exactly as you described. Dealer if trying to fix it, but no luck.

I need to add the following to your "Click and nothing": everything else works normally in ours, windows, stereo, doors etc... It's NOT the battery.

We have found that if you wait a bit it starts up normally. This occurs anytime, hot or cold. It might be option specific, please put up the year make and model you own in your post. We have a 2010 Limited so it has a 4.0 with remote start. If we can establish a common link maybe a fix can be established.

My local dealer is trying very hard to fix the issue, I'm receiving 100% cooperation. No complaints with Orange Coast Chrysler in Costa Mesa. Each time the car does this it will go directly on a Flatbed and be taken directly to the dealer to be repaired under warranty. It's time to press this issue, We have to have this repair figured out while our cars are still under warranty to benefit all.

There seems to be a class action lawsuit forming on this "No Start" issue. I'm looking into it as my car not starting for up to an hour is unacceptable. I don't want to be part of it, but no fix means no choice.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Continued.

The first time the car went to the dealer said they couldn't find anything or reproduce the problem and sent me home. The next time it happened, I took the car back they reflashed the PCM with an update, this didn't work. The next time it went back they load tested the battery several times said they could not reproduce the issue and sent the car home. When it did it again they cannot start the car so they put in a new starter. This just happened again yesterday, however this time the starter turned a little bit but would not crank and start the car, I suspect the replacement starter was just bad.

Every time this happens I'm just going to plop the car on Chrysler flatbed and have it taken to the dealer, there will be a long record and history of this problem In their records. I'm going to start videoing this as it happens and keep a record on you tube. I'm going to press this issue very hard I want my car fixed.

The car has 27,000 miles and a major extended factory warranty.

I did receive a solicitation From a lawyer regarding this issue, so I can't be the only one this is happening to.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry for the french ... Too lazy to look the right word :) Might be the 'alternateur' Had to change it 2 or 3 times on my former 2007.
I think I followed a thread here (4th gen) to help troubleshoot ... Kinda like measuring voltage on battery before start, during start (or tries) and after.
Although 'alternateur' let's battery go dead ... Anyway, remember clicking coming out of the car and all kind of french words coming out of my mouth.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'll try the shifter thing, but I did ask the dealer to check the neutral safety switch (which they said they did).

It's not the alternator.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Have you tried with the other key?

Have you tried taking the key out, and putting it back in and trying again?

My Caliber went through a mood a couple years ago where over one winter (both before and after I replaced the battery) it would crank for a bit before starting. It only happened 3 times. One of those times it just cranked and never started. I took the key out, put it back in and it started up just like normal. It seems to have fixed it self, but I agree it's annoying as my dealer couldn't figure it out either.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It does it with either key, it doesn't matter if the other key is nearby or not so I don't think it's a bad fob. Both have new batteries.

I thought that at first, if it didn't start I would go get the other key and it would start. As it turns out, it was just starting because it wanted to and not key related.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Forgot to mention I have it happen with all keys. Remote start will do it too . Intermittent. Changed vehicle battery in case but still does it. I still think neutral safety switch.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
It does it with either key, it doesn't matter if the other key is nearby or not so I don't think it's a bad fob. Both have new batteries.

I thought that at first, if it didn't start I would go get the other key and it would start. As it turns out, it was just starting because it wanted to and not key related.
The key's battery doesn't matter. That's only for the remote function.

What I'm saying is that if you try to start it and it doesn't and then you put the same key or another key in and it's ok, I'd think it's a problem with either the neutral safety switch or park interlock, or something with the SKIM(?) module

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
This thread is interesting to me because my 2010 did this to me out of nowhere about a week before I traded it. It's partially what gave me the idea to trade it. My battery was new in May and it had just been run about 3 hours prior. I went to pull it in the garage and it just went click. I was like WTF? I looked under the hood and underneath for any loose wires. I then tried it a few more times then it stared right up. That was the only time it did it. I later talked to my neighbor and his girlfriend had a 08 DGC SXT 4.0. He was telling me about starting problems it was having. She ended up just trading it off about the same time I did.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts