The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 town and country. My second fobik keyfob will still start the vehicle, but will not open the doors, sliding doors, or hatch. It appears that part of it is dead. Tried changing battery and taking apart and cleaning the keypad contacts and still wont work. My main question is since it will still start the vehicle, can i still use it to program some new keyfobs. I know you have to have 2 working keyfobs to be able to program new ones or else you have to go back to the dealer, which i dont want to have to do. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also, is it possible to get "locked out" of the programming mode? I thought at one time it looked like i was in programming mode, now it doesnt seem that i am after turning second key to the on position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has the recall for the FOBIK been done? Once the R03 Recall (I think that is the last one is called) you lose the ability to program them yourself. You must use the stealer(dealer) or an locksmith!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that sucks! I did check and according to the website the VIN only 2 recalls that haven’t been done, the vent window switch and something to do with an emblem causing an airbag issue. Guess I’ll check with dealer about programming new keys.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
662 Posts
There was a recall done on all 5'th gen vans that had the key module and the keys replaced for new ones. Since then, you cannot program your own keys anymore.

That's an odd issue to have, are the buttons themselves still clickable?

Sometimes the clicker part just falls off the inside of the rubber piece, then you can't use that button anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None of the buttons work at all. They all seem to “click” when pressed. I tried new battery and took it apart and cleaned the keypad membranes as some posts suggest but none of it made any difference. It will still start the van however.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
662 Posts
That's odd. I'm guessing the circuit has some sort of issue, because it doesn't just happen that you loose all the buttons. I guess check that the battery makes a good connection with the board, and plus and minus in their correct places but otherwise, a locksmith or a stealership may be the best options here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello marksman85,

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it might be worth checking.

I bought a used 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan last year. It came with only one key fob, which started the vehicle fine, but on which none of the buttons worked. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts, replaced the battery, etc. Nothing. Then I pushed down on the big integrated circuit (chip) at the narrow end of the key while trying the buttons--and voilà, they all worked. I looked at the pins on the chip with a magnifying glass and saw that the solder on one whole side had broken.

As a temporary fix, I taped the chip down with some clear tape (to make the pins connect to the board again) and the key kinda worked for about a year. Then, a couple of weeks ago, it stopped working again (but continued to work in the ignition). This time, I took the key to an electronics repair shop and had the guy reflow the solder on the chip's pins so that they are properly connected. It now works perfectly.

The same might work for you.

Sylvan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts