The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving go to Thornton my wife gets out get something and we drive off and she says ac blowing hot air now, and sure enough it is.

I get home see compressor engaging, check low side psi it's at 75 check high side it's at 100. I found a leak at the low side valve.

So my question would a leak at low side valve cause ac stop working while driving instantly. And would it cause the high side to be so low at 100 psi?

Any direction or more test I can do would be helpful I have all the tools but this really stump me, because the ac clutch is spinning and the ac went from cold to hot so fast no noise no it's getting warmer by the day just instantly.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
It has enough pressure to engage the switch for the clutch, but not enough to actually do any good. Evac the system and replace your valves. Unless there's another leak, that should be it. Pull vacuum on the system and hold it for 20 minutes to make sure the pressure doesn't change before recharging it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has enough pressure to engage the switch for the clutch, but not enough to actually do any good. Evac the system and replace your valves. Unless there's another leak, that should be it. Pull vacuum on the system and hold it for 20 minutes to make sure the pressure doesn't change before recharging it.
Will do first thing in morning I'm praying your right kind sir!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After vacuum the system and filling it with exactly the amount under hood says to add to the compressor on nd this is the readings. I read somewhere if both at 100 it's compressor. If it's is the compressor what other parts do I need.

Or do anyone have any other ideas

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
It may be the compressor... but you need to make sure. Get in a place where you can see the front of the compressor pulley and have the A/C turned on. If you see the center of the pulley spin, then the compressor is not working internally. If you don't, either it's not getting the signal to turn on or the clutch is burnt out. Jumping the A/C relay can verify if the clutch is good or not. You'll hear it click into place when the relay is triggered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just looked it up there is no ac relay, the compressor turns I shut it off nd it stops. By this being an indented clutch hard see if it's doing anything. But the ac compressor turns on nd spin nd getting 100 or both sides

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ny other test I can do you said jump the compressor nd listen see if a click occurs. And wat shld I replace if replacing compressor

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
If you don't hear the clutch click in, it may just be the pulley spinning.

Camera lens Automotive tire Camera accessory Automotive design Rim

The belt runs on a floating pulley. The magnetic clutch draws the clutch plate in and it is turned by the pulley. Is the clutch plate spinning too?

I forgot these didn't have a replaceable relay. If you can reach the power connector, unplug it, and then put power to one of the pins and ground the other. Polarity shouldn't matter, but the positive is the dark blue wire with the yellow stripe. Don't do it while the engine is on, obviously. Just listen and watch for the clutch to move. If it engages, leave the wires connected to the A/C but take the power off of them, crank up, hook power back up, and then check your A/C pressures.

If you find the clutch is not engaging, there are several possibilities still. If it is engaging, the compressor is bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok the clutch does come on the click sound extremely weak. I remember two years ago looking for leak the click was alot louder.

But clutch is coming on, now when ac first went out I heard a loud screeching noise coming from serpentine belt.

I used my leak detector to see if any leak coming from back thank god there wasn't. When I pulled a vacuum the system stayed in the same spot on gauges after an hour. So there is no leak anymore.

I'm pretty confident it's the compressor unless you have any other test I would appreciate it don't want just throw parts at it.

And if it is compressor I know there's an expansion valve anyone got diagram where it's or they are located I would want to replace that aswell and any other part anyone can recommend with new compressor.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
With the belt squealing, the compressor may be locked or binding. You can verify that by turning the clutch plate by hand. It should be relatively easy to turn and should have 6 or so "bumps" as it makes a full turn.

Since it did at least attempt to engage, there shouldn't be an issue with the control side of things, so it probably is the compressor. Procedures for both expansion valves and the compressor attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
No, just one for the front and one for the rear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts