The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just leased a new T & C touring and to get to where I could afford it, I got the base model without any options. We love the van, but need a DVD player for the kids. I have looked and looked for the best option, but haven't really come upon anything good. The ceiling rail system is posing problems for an aftermarket ceiling mounted screen. The active headrests eliminate built-in headrest units. I am leaning toward some strap on portable units at this point, but would love a cleaner option if anyone has a suggestion that doesn't break the bank. Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
An overhead DVD system is possible - you'll just need to be creative. A DVD installer should have no issues installing a unit that looks very clean.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
It looks like there is one available from Mopar, but I am guessing that you would need to spend on a compatible radio to go with it.
The price for just the DVD stuff is $1100.
I don't know where you are at, but for those in Minnesota, Dealer Automotive Services could do the work. I had my remote start put in by them when we got our van and wouldn't hesitate to have them add other items.

·
Super Moderator
6,252 Posts
It looks like there is one available from Mopar, but I am guessing that you would need to spend on a compatible radio to go with it.
The price for just the DVD stuff is $1100.
I don't know where you are at, but for those in Minnesota, Dealer Automotive Services could do the work. I had my remote start put in by them when we got our van and wouldn't hesitate to have them add other items.
*I believe* that any of the radios except for the base radio will run the dvd players...i remember seeing nitros with regular 6-cd/dvd changers with rear seat video, but it could just be the mygigs now

·
Registered
5 Posts
The active headrests eliminate built-in headrest units.
I have the rear a/c controls on the ceiling and think overhead would be awkward. Also, overhead is not great with two kids 7yrs apart as they'lll be watching different programs most likely. So as a result, I've been looking at the headrest players....

What is it about active headrest that would not permit changing to DVD player headrests? Is it just that we'd loose the active part? or can then not be switch (easily).

If they can be switched than I see no issue....

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
*I believe* that any of the radios except for the base radio will run the dvd players...i remember seeing nitros with regular 6-cd/dvd changers with rear seat video, but it could just be the mygigs now
That is good to know. I wasn't sure on the other radios being able to drive it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Voted most useless member
1,890 Posts
Guys I got to tell you. DVD's and cars NOT a good match. Besides these things are really limited. The way things are going now is that if your kids want to watch a movie, it is best to just get a Tablet for them and either get the mount and connect the power via the USB connector and cal it a day. besides These headrest are not the first thing in comfort.

You are WAY better off getting one of those $200 Google Nexes units or even the cheapo China Of brands that sell for as little as $50 bucks and buy the mounts and have a great day.

The other thing is that the games that are built in are VERY limited. If you want the kids to play games on the way to where ever, you will be better of getting them some handheld game system.

For Movies, The tablets with WIFI capability let you share you mobile internet connection with you tablets and stream movies like Netflix of the web. BUT KIDS LOVE YOUTUBE! So that even free. And they get to watch and search for what they want or you set them up with a playlist of things that they want to watch.

The nice thing about the tablets is that your car is no longer a target for THEIVES! They do not see the headrest, and you get to take them inside or tuck them away in the car. That is a nice added feature.

Also, If you use these to get in and out of the car, these will break in a heartbeat. Or at the very least, make the display Blotch due to someone using it to pull them selves out or around the car. Kids do it all the time.

Now If you are serious about the movie thing. Look at just installing the displays in the headliner. By doing it this way, they fold up and stay out of sight thanks to the window tint. And the best part is that if you use the Tablet displays, you can upgrade and sell your old units or use them for other uses when you need to.

One last thing about the displays mounted on headrest. THEY SUCK.. They have display rates that only 237 by 640 most of the time and do not scale the images well. THey are also not very nice to look at for the most part. Not that kids care all that much.

Now they make mobile Headsets. And really, If you want my opinion. Wireless headsets are a PAIN.

Here is why. Batteries. They always need to be rechared becase as most of you know, kids NEVER put them in the charging dock. And you have to keep a few around in the car or love buying expensive batteries on the road. Yes. THere are less tangles. That is nice. But really, Even you Blue tooth headsets are better then many of the RF units. And the IR ones are still a notch or to below anything you could consider clear sound.

Now this is from my 5 year old squinting on the small display trying to make out images. etc.

Now from a viewing angle. It is best that the kids at least get a 13" display to be viewing TV from that angle Not so important with things like sponge bob as the detail is so low, you will not miss anything. But as you go to media that has more detail, like Caption Jack Sparow.. Well. Those cheap displays are a real let down.

Consider how hard it was when people were using 14 inch displays (CRT's btw) at work a few years ago. You had to be glued to the TV set. Otherwise, it would be hard to make out some detail. This is the last thing that you want to do...

HOWEVER...

In bright light and bright days, nothing will compare to any of these Ebay monitors. You can almost view them in direct sunlight without and issue. Something that you can not do with most better display units. Or Tablets.. The battery would die in a heart beat.

So that is the one thing that mobile displays from ebay or other sellers have a big leg up on.

The last thing are micro projectors. These are all but limited to night time driving. Are expensive. And Have extra hassle to get the image right. Not worth it right now IMO

You could use just one big display, (Kind of like factory) But then your kids neck would strain from looking a and angle at it for so long. Best to have large displays that keep the the straight on viewing angle with just the slight amount of tilt so that the kids can lean back and relax in the chair in comfort. Even Adults. With the head headrest displays, if a kid wants the headrest higher, they fight over it. Hence, Once of the reasons why these break in a car.

The best option by far is to just get some TV Glasses that have the built in LCD in them. These are still to expensive and not really made for the ruff and tumble of kids.

Soon. Your LCD and your CRT will be something that you don't even need. Just put on your glasses and you will have everything that you ever wanted to see as big as you want.

So If you want to buy that kit. It works. It does the Job. Is not that expensive. Has a major cool factor. Will last for some years with care. But if you ever loose the remote, Or something like that.. Plan on buying a whole new unit and pray that they did not make any firmware changes to the unit. Otherwise, the new ones will not work either.

I think that about does it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts