The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 TC's tire sensors were thrown off after a tire change. I bought a device to reset them but I need to it the van in re-learn mode. Does anyone know how to do this?:unsure:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I never had to re-learn mine, but it's worrying that this happened during the tire change because if you're not careful about position while removing the tries from the rims with the machine you can actually destroy the sensors themselves. Honestly, just fill up the tires to their proper PSI then drive the vehicle normally. It should go away within a hour of driving or so, that is the only "Learn" process I know. I also know you can "reset" the TPMS system by going to each wheel and hitting reset of whatever TPMS tool you use, and then drive it.

-As long as the wheels have functioning sending units at each wheel and the proper PSI is achieved, the TPMS teltale light on the dash should go away withing a few hours of driving at the most.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is the actual tire pressure displayed or does the system just light up to let you know a tire is low? I should Google to find out how TPMS works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never had to re-learn mine, but it's worrying that this happened during the tire change because if you're not careful about position while removing the tries from the rims with the machine you can actually destroy the sensors themselves. Honestly, just fill up the tires to their proper PSI then drive the vehicle normally. It should go away within a hour of driving or so, that is the only "Learn" process I know. I also know you can "reset" the TPMS system by going to each wheel and hitting reset of whatever TPMS tool you use, and then drive it.

-As long as the wheels have functioning sending units at each wheel and the proper PSI is achieved, the TPMS teltale light on the dash should go away withing a few hours of driving at the most.
Filling then up with air did not work. This is the tool. It says put the van in park and then into relearn mode. But no explanation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the actual tire pressure displayed or does the system just light up to let you know a tire is low? I should Google to find out how TPMS works.
The display chimes letting me know something is up. And the display shows 3 tires without a number and the 4tire has a 3 or 4

·
Registered
84 Posts
In the early 5'th gen (which is 08-10) in theory is the same system as the later gen (2011-present)
-The base system uses 4 wheel sensors and 4 receiver modules which communicate with the main computer or the vehicle. If a low tire is detected, only the "low tire pressure Telltale will illuminate, as it doesn't show actual tire pressure)
-The EVIC (electronic vehicle information center which will display each tire's PSI) includes 4 wheel TPMS sensors, a receiver module, and 3 trigger modules (mounted in 3 out of 4 wheel wells). This system communicates to the receiver module which calculates the actual pressure, then sends it to the instrument cluster's digital display readout

·
Registered
84 Posts
The display chimes letting me know something is up. And the display shows 3 tires without a number and the 4tire has a 3 or 4
Did you change the tires yourself or did a shop change the tires? Were the tires removed from the rims to mount new or different tires onto the same rims? If the rims were changed to ones without the TPMS sensors then you will get a (--) reading on the EVIC, which means there is no communication between the TPMS wheel sensor and the TPMS receivers.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,581 Posts
....If a low tire is detected, only the "low tire pressure Telltale will illuminate, as it doesn't show actual tire pressure)
-The EVIC (electronic vehicle information center which will display each tire's PSI) includes 4 wheel TPMS sensors, a receiver module, and 3 trigger modules (mounted in 3 out of 4 wheel wells). This system communicates to the receiver module which calculates the actual pressure, then sends it to the instrument cluster's digital display readout
I understand some actually shows actual tire pressure, but never see it on any Caravans or T & C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the early 5'th gen (which is 08-10) in theory is the same system as the later gen (2011-present)
-The base system uses 4 wheel sensors and 4 receiver modules which communicate with the main computer or the vehicle. If a low tire is detected, only the "low tire pressure Telltale will illuminate, as it doesn't show actual tire pressure)
Did you change the tires yourself or did a shop change the tires? Were the tires removed from the rims to mount new or different tires onto the same rims? If the rims were changed to ones without the TPMS sensors then you will get a (--) reading on the EVIC, which means there is no communication between the TPMS wheel sensor and the TPMS receivers.
A shop did it. They put new tires on the rims. I didn't notice it at the time and then came across this tool hoping I can reset it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you tried filling up the tires to proper pressure and then driving the vehicle for some time? The owners manual says "The TPMS Telltale warning light will extinguish once the updated tire pressures(s) have been received. The vehicle may need to be driven for up to 10 minutes above 15mph (25km/h) to receive this information. My van (09 GCV) needs to be driven for about an hour for the sensors to pick up any information and extinguish the light. (My winter tires don't have the wheel sensors so when i swap to summers which do have them, it takes a long time for them to get reset. It gets reset automatically while you drive, if it doesn't work it will keep showing the -- message on the tires that don't have signal or have an issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I understand some actually shows actual tire pressure, but never see it on any Caravans or T & C.
Here's a 2013 T&C with EVIC. The 08-10 models also have EVIC which could display each tire pressure individually. But the 4'th gen cannot show each tire pressure individually.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you tried filling up the tires to proper pressure and then driving the vehicle for some time? The owners manual says "The TPMS Telltale warning light will extinguish once the updated tire pressures(s) have been received. The vehicle may need to be driven for up to 10 minutes above 15mph (25km/h) to receive this information. My van (09 GCV) needs to be driven for about an hour for the sensors to pick up any information and extinguish the light. (My winter tires don't have the wheel sensors so when i swap to summers which do have them, it takes a long time for them to get reset. It gets reset automatically while you drive, if it doesn't work it will keep showing the -- message on the tires that don't have signal or have an issue.
I drove 3 1/2 hours on property inflated tires. I'm hoping the shop didn't damage the sensor but it's kinda sounding
Here's a 2013 T&C with EVIC. The 08-10 models also have EVIC which could display each tire pressure individually. But the 4'th gen cannot show each tire pressure individually.
That pic looks exactly like mine

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
That tool may only make the relearn happen sooner by triggering the sensors to broadcast or whatever. If it even works on Chrysler. It could save the drive time I suppose.

It's not cheap, but I have an Autel brand Tpms tool. It will scan each wheel. Then you plug it into the obd port and direct it to force relearn with the sensor IDs it just read from the wheels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I drove 3 1/2 hours on property inflated tires. I'm hoping the shop didn't damage the sensor but it's kinda sounding

That pic looks exactly like mine
Well, if they replaced the tires and it was working before I'd call them and explain the situation, if it was working before and they damaged it they should fix it

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,581 Posts
That's awesome. The 2013 Town and Country Touring I'm waiting on being delivered does have the EVIC display.
I believe all Town And Country of that generation have the full EVIC, but not all have the ability to read each tire pressure individually.

Don't get too exited yet.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My '14 shows all 4 pressures.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts