The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and thank you for providing this community! As mentioned in the title, we have a '11 T&C with about 120k miles, got it at around 80k miles and it's been pretty decent to us. It's our first minivan and we're excited to have it, especially as our two kids are getting bigger. It's a great vehicle and we're really looking forward to upgrading to a Pacifica when this old girl decides it's time to move on.

Glad to be a part of the forum and I'm looking forward to getting a bit of help and providing some if I'm able to!

Thomas

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
1. If you're looking for reliable transport, the Pacifica is not an "upgrade". They are plagued with electronic, auto stop, and transmission issues that generally kill them early in life.

2. Hopefully you're keeping up on maintenance, should be on it's 2nd transmission fluid/filter change by now. If not, you're on borrowed time already.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. If you're looking for reliable transport, the Pacifica is not an "upgrade". They are plagued with electronic, auto stop, and transmission issues that generally kill them early in life.

2. Hopefully you're keeping up on maintenance, should be on it's 2nd transmission fluid/filter change by now. If not, you're on borrowed time already.
Well that’s good to know, we’ll definitely think twice about pulling the trigger on a Pacifica when the time comes.

And I’m working on a PCM issue now, so I’ll get the trans fluid changed while I’m at it. I think one has been done by the previous owner, but we haven’t done a second one since we bought the van. Thank you for the heads up

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Well that’s good to know, we’ll definitely think twice about pulling the trigger on a Pacifica when the time comes.

And I’m working on a PCM issue now, so I’ll get the trans fluid changed while I’m at it. I think one has been done by the previous owner, but we haven’t done a second one since we bought the van. Thank you for the heads up
Not a problem, what's the PCM issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I started a thread linked above, not sure I did that right though but hopefully it works...

Basically all electronics on the van went dead last week. I tested and replaced the battery, wouldn't hold a charge anymore, and alternator, bench testing showed it was only supplying about 8.7v, and now the alternator isn't charging the battery. From a bit of multimetering, it seems like the PCM isn't sending the field signal that the alternator needs to do what it's supposed to do. I've tested all related wiring, grounds, fuses, and relays, and as far as I can see, all that is good. The only other thing I can think of doing is briefly jumping that field terminal on the alternator to force it into charging... gotta read a bit more through the FSM too

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

The most mentioned complaint for your 2011 T&C is electrical per:

72 complaints for the 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan and much less after that per:

The Pacifica suffers from basically the same problems as the Dodge Grand Caravan
  • problem prone 3.6L engine (valve train sucks, many issues not resolved over the years}
  • poor quality plastic parts for heating system and/or oil filtering
  • transmissions are different but both have their problems, often before their first fluid/filter change is due. The luck of the draw on those. I like the 62TE though. My engine has had the "tick repair" which set me back $1,500. Never had an expenditure as large as that on a vehicle before. Hopefully the Class Action Lawsuit about that issue will bare fruit. The repair is well documented in my case, done at the Dealership..

41 complaints for the 2018 Pacifica and much less after that per:

Keep in mind that a lot of complaints have been dealt with as they showed up, some with a temporary solution (valve train and plastic parts) and some with a more permanent solution (Dorman to the rescue for a couple of the plastic parts issue, using metal components)..

You might want to take a look at KIA for a minivan to see if they take better care of their Customers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts